Max allowable disability for Air Force Reserve

airsaver

Registered Member
I keep being told rumors that the max allowable disability to continue in the Air Force Reserve is 30%...but I have not found that written anywhere. Is there a cut and dry max amount of disability you can be receiving from the VA while in the Air Force Reserve, or is it dependent on if the actual disabilities you are rated for impact your ability to do your job, and/or be worldwide deployable, or fly.

My situation is, I spent 9 years on active duty as a pilot, and then transitioned without a break in service into the reserves (through a voluntary separation program). I am not currently in a Reserve flying squadron but still hold an active flight physical. I was recently rated at 80% due to tinnitus, several back issues, knee issues, and foot pain. All of these were well documented from active duty and I was going to physical therapy while in active duty.

So basically, all of the issues I received a disability for are all issues I had while on active duty status (while the Air Force had no issues with me serving, or flying and maintaining my worldwide deployment status). I don't wish to get "kicked" out of the reserves, and am wondering if my medical group will immediately MEB me due to this new rating, or if its based on what the disability is.

If I were to get medically kicked out, would I even be eligible for a medical retirement at 12 years, or would this just be a medical separation where they say goodby.

Thanks for any help or previous experiences.

airsaver

Registered Member
I should add that I am currently a Traditional Reservist in a non-flying squadron, but that does require worldwide deployability.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">