MEB... Advice

Ivette

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
As mentioned in a previous post I'm 12yr Active Duty Air Force. I was told today that my chronic back pain & psychiatric condition will be going up for an MEB. Below are my condition, can anyone give me some advice on what to expect.

1. Congenital Spinal Stenosis and Superimposed Degenerative Disk Disease at C2-3, C3-4, C4-5, and more pronounced at C6-7 levels.

2. Disk Osteophyte complex at T9-10

3. Annular Tear at L4-5 resulting in central protrusion impressing on the anterior sac.

4. Annular Tear at L5-S1 resulting in central disk protrusion impressing on the exiting nerve root.

5. Major Depressive Disorder "severe", Anxiety "GAD", Panic Attacks (NOS) I spent 11 days in a in patient psychiatric hospital due to these condition.

Is there any chance I would fit for duty after the MEB, an are my condition at least considered 30% for PDRL?

There is always a chance you can be found fit. I think most of the time if you truly wish to be found fit, you will have to ensure your commanders letter and your MEB doctor understand your desire to be found fit. As far as ratings go, only conditions found unfit for service will determine if you will receive the minimum 30% for PDRL/TDRL. Spinal conditions are rated based on Range of Motion (ROM), so you would need to refer to the VASRD that is available on this site. I have a hard time understanding how the behavioral health conditions are rated and seem to depend on the severity, but psychiatric hospitalization more than likely is proof in itself of the severity of your condition. I recommend you visit this site daily as you will learn a lot about the process and you may have other conditions that are ratable that you may or may not even know you have. The MEB process is long and stressful, but the more you know, the better off you will be when it comes time for your VA referrals and when your NARSUM is beginning to be put together.