MEB As a Traditional Reservist

aavila5

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello, I am currently an Air Force Reservist. I’ve been on MEDCON orders since Oct 2020 for a third ACL surgery. I’m currently going to physical therapy but it’s been over a year since post-surgery (Feb 2020 was the last surgery) and don’t foresee myself being able to continue doing the run portion of a fitness test (physical therapist and surgeon said I am also prone to another tear with this being my third surgery). Am I able to request from my surgeon/PCM to put me in for an MEB at this point? Is it possible to go through an MEB as a Traditional Reservist? If so, how does that work? Any help is greatly appreciated.

So you can request it but know that a MEB is initiated by the your PCM. I doubt they would initiate it until you have exhausted all treatment options. The best way to approach this is to ask them a question such as "Hey Doc, at what point do you throw in the towel and refer me to a MED Board? Since this is my 3rd ACL surgery I am somewhat doubtful of being able to get back to where I need to be to meet the physical demands of my job. What do you think?" I believe this approach is the best way to ask that question as it conveys your current feelings about your abilities and then allows your Surgeon/PCM to give you the roadmap to achieving a referral to a Med Board.

Your AF469 profile form is the deciding factor for MEB. A code 31 profile means that you will be fixed within 365 days. A code 37 means it will be longer than 365 and automatically trigger a DAWG (Deployment Availability Working Group) meeting to talk about pushing you to an IDES or MEB.

The question for you to ask your doctor is when will they push you to a code 37. Your commander can also trigger a DAWG review.

Best of luck.