MEB at 12 years in. Multiple issues on RILO. Please advise!

Good Evening Team,

I had two questions. My RILO just was submitted to AFPC with following conditions: Asthma, bi-lateral labral tears of hip w/necrosis of femoral head and bilateral knee issues on the package.

First: should i be worried for a separation with the new guidance from secdef on non deployers?

Second: in regards to asthma. I took the methacoline challenge and cant quite figure it out. The technician stopped the test at the first vial after the saline solution since i was “highly reactive” and obviously asthmatic. What i dont understand is that test is the baseline for VA disability and is there a particular dosage that i should have recieved? If i was worse off for instance, she said i almost failed the asthma test with only the saline. Just doesnt make sense if the technician just stops as soon as you hit 25% decline ( i hit 23% with saline and 27% with first of 5 vials)

Any guidance would be appreciated!

I can not intelligently ander your first question based on your message content. Have you deployed? Did you know that non-deployable is waiverable by the gaining COCOM/SG? There are some sites that have full up hospitals. Going to one of those is most likely to be waived.

The VA does not use the methacholine challenge test. They look at your spirometry results.

1528641531814.png

Diagnosis during the C&P is usually by interpretation of symptoms. In some cases you could be sent to a pulmonologist for a complete workup. I was diagnoses by the primary C&P examiner for respiratory, based on spirometry alone. My results were incorrect because the use of corticosteroids was not considered. In my case it made no difference in compensation due to my primary issue.

If your RILO comes back MEB, then start downloading all applicable DBQs and fill them out as completely as possible. Use Goggle... if there are questions you don't understand.

Thank you sir for your reply. I’m planning on sitting tight and waiting on RILO results. Hopefully I am retained. The methacoline question stems from the statement on Disabilty made easy that says “If spirometry is done with and without methacoline, the condition is rated on the methacoline results.” With the medications I am on I fit the 60% rate but with them only using one vial i blew a 27% reduction putting me at the 10% rate.

I believe asthma is rated off of the Pulminary Function Test. I remember that methacoline thing. I dropped 68 percent during one of the stages...

So they did all the stages? My pulmonologist just treated it as a pass/fail test for asthma. First time i busted the threshold they stopped.

I didn’t make it through all the stages. I believe I made it through the 3rd stage out of 5. It was a fail for me which resulted with a digagnosis with asthma. I take daily steroid inhalers to keep my PFT within reason. Have you taken the PFT?

I’ve taken several pfts. Those dont have as large of a drop but the daile meds help alot. Currently taking Advair 500/50 x2 daily, Allegra, Singulair, Prednisone, and prescribed to take 4 puffs rescue inhaler prior to exercise. The prednisone probably will become a quarterly medication.

The VA will most likely give you at least a 30% rating due to the fact that you take daily steroid inhaler...