MEB at 18.8 years active Army, COAD?

SniderB

Registered Member
Hello, I have 18.8 years of Active Army time and I learned yesterday that I am being referred to MEB. I kind of knew this was coming so I've been looking into every possibility that would enable me to MEB but also hit my MEB. I stumbled across Continuation on Active Duty (COAD) and it seems like a good option for me. I contacted the COAD team at Ft. Know and talked to them on-and-off for about a week. They informed me about the program and kind of pre-screened me and said it loks good that I would be approved, but they couldn't say for sure without my packed officially submitted. Has anyone had experience with COAD or heard of others trying to apply for COAD? Thanks.

Maddog123

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
COAD is a hit and miss program. The concept is a great idea, but how the services implement it is terrible. Very few people get approved compared with the amount of people that apply for it; the percentage is less than 5%. I personally would not bank on COAD to get you to 20 years.

Remember that your leave and PTDY is counted towards your retirement, so don’t use any leave from here on out and save it all until the end.

Also, appeal at every stage and every chance you get....you get 10 days or 5 days, depending on the situation, to respond at each stage and you can request an extension of each. There are multiple other ways to stretch it out too.

I would read and reread and get intimately knowledgeable on AR 635-40, DA PAM 635-40 and all other materials involved with IDES and how the Army and your specific organization handles IDES.

Use this forum, research this forum and continue to build your IDES knowledge base as this forum has a wealth of knowledge and expert people.

I was able to stretch my IDES out for 18 months, using the techniques, ideas and suggestions found within this forum.

feel free to contact me by private PM if you want any help.

JoePlasm

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Earlier this year, the Army timeline for "quick places" like Ft. Bragg - from submission of P3 til start of Terminal leave was 6 months.

You can poke around here and see plenty of smaller posts, especially ones without MEDCENs are taking 3-6 months longer. That's without appeals.

Normal (non-COVID) appeal for a Formal Board (go to Ft Sam in Blues w/ lawyer) added about 3 months.

If you are at 18ys and 10 months (guessing from the .8) I would not be hard to drag it out to hit a year. As mentioned above your terminal leave counts for that time too.

If they haven't submitted the P3 to IDES yet, have a blunt conversation with your provider and ask if they can wait 3-5 months to submit. It'll cost your provider nothing (unless your BN Cdr is hounding him). You can also try asking you Commander (if you are on good terms). Most "docs" and Commanders would probably be willing to delay it if you point out that it will very literally "cost you your retirement".

Basically explain to them that leaving before 20 gets you VA. Leaving at 20 & 1 day gets you VA & Retirement. (Yes I know that over simplifies but in this case that's better for you and not entirely inaccurate). Also make sure they understand the process is 6-9 months long, so you're "Only asking for 3-6 month delay to save my retirement."

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Start saving leave immediately, terminal leave counts toward your 20. Also try and delay all appointments as long as you can. There are 6 levels of appeal, each level you are allowed ten days to concur/nonconcur. This alone buys you 60 days.

the appeal levels:

narsum rebuttal
Independent medial review
Meb rebuttal
Peb
FPEB/IPEB
VARR
Disability agency review

The more you can delay the closer you can get to 20. Also apply for COAD but expect the worst that they will deny you. There have been others who were cut short at 19.5 plus years... it happens.. don’t let it happen to you.

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I have very rarely seen a COAD approval. Years ago (around 2006- 2008 maybe) I used to see it rarely approved. I can't say that it is not every approved now, but, I can't say either that it is something I have come across at all in the past few years. That doesn't mean that it never happens (what I see is only the cases that people bring to me or are reported in published cases, so my sample size is relatively small).

Are your conditions (singular or plural) combat-related? If so, that would open up CRSC as a potential entitlement.

Basically explain to them that leaving before 20 gets you VA. Leaving at 20 & 1 day gets you VA & Retirement. (Yes I know that over simplifies but in this case that's better for you and not entirely inaccurate). Also make sure they understand the process is 6-9 months long, so you're "Only asking for 3-6 month delay to save my retirement."
If everything was fair and there were never any negative input or reactions from providers, then I would agree with the above quote. However, I have also seen many cases where providers write in notes or in the NARSUM that the member was "benefit seeking," and it has hurt the case. In these types of situations, I usually ask what is the attitude of the provider and how good is your relationship. Sometimes providers are really helpful and are willing to help. Other times, they are sort of adversarial and are not helpful at all. I would consider how good and supportive your provider is before asking bluntly based on the reasons suggested before engaging with them.
Start saving leave immediately, terminal leave counts toward your 20. Also try and delay all appointments as long as you can. There are 6 levels of appeal, each level you are allowed ten days to concur/nonconcur. This alone buys you 60 days.
Approval of COAD would be great in many cases. It might get to 20 years of service, which would open up concurrent receipt of military and VA payments via CRDP. However, don't count on being granted COAD, and don't forget the input, above, about trying to take all the time at each level and trying to stretch things out via exercising your rights.

SniderB

Registered Member
I was hesitant when i heard about the COAD program because you have to apply, meaning it could get denied, but when i reached out to the COAD team at Ft. Knos they were extremely responsive and i was able to talk to the COAD SGM and he seemed to ease my mind. I asked specific questions and received answers for all of them, hell one of the COAD guys actually called me on DSN to explain and I'm stationed in Germany right now. I know it's a risk but I think I'm going to explore it but I'm not sure yet.

I have great relationships with everyone here from the CDR's to the providers so I think everyone will work with me with whatever I decided.

My conditions are not combat related so I am looking at receiving CDRP along with VA once I hit my 20! :)

I do appreciate all of the input from everyone. I've been on this forum for a while and have researched and read quite a bit. I just want to have as much information as I can so once everything moves forward I'm as educated as i can be.

eerf123

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Just some anecdotal info from my own case. I was "being referred for an MEB" for almost a year before anything officially kicked off. I think what helped me was I still had multiple issues that I was being treated for and also my PCM ended up PCSng about halfway through which helped delay the process even further.

When they finally sent my package up, AFPC ended up returning me to duty.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">