MEB decline

Eestett410

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Question, I am HYT SrA. I decline my MEB. I'm coded on my orders as SEPARATION PROGRAM DESIGNATOR code is KBK (normal separation) and reenlistment eligibility code is 4k (pending MEB) AFPC told me those were the right codes because according to AFPC Medical Standards Board and said that the memo I signed stated that I was declining meb as well as declining and ineligible for HYT benefits. I've reviewed the memos I signed that were in my meb folder and there is no statement of me declining any thing other than my MEB. Nobody on base has any answers. My shirt is in the process of trying to find things out, but has anyone heard of this? Or if it's in a reg can you point me in that direction? I've searched and have not found anything and the PEBLO never said anything about it and I've mentioned my HYT. A ton of times.

hyt is the same thing as rcp if the army i believe. hyt is for seperation pay right? from the army perspective, career counselors code you for retention eligibility, 9h for meb and 9g for rcp, that transition uses to decide if you are eligible for sep pay. Its not uncommon for someone to tell us a soldier needs a meb but never tell us when it goes away so we can change the code. I'd check with your career counselor and bring docs saying you turned down the meb for normal ets to see what s/he can do,

Thank you for responding. I'm coded correctly through my reenlist menus section. Apparently the AFPC Med Standards Board is coding my completely different and pulling this information outta his bum. I've search and search regs, afi's, dod instructions, googled to see if there is anything related of the sort, and I can't find anything as to why he gets to make this decision for MY career choice. There is nothing in my memos stating this or anything remotely close. I'm forfeiting my medical benefits that I could receive had I continued but that's it. I don't get it.

hyt is the same thing as rcp if the army i believe. hyt is for seperation pay right? from the army perspective, career counselors code you for retention eligibility, 9h for meb and 9g for rcp, that transition uses to decide if you are eligible for sep pay. Its not uncommon for someone to tell us a soldier needs a meb but never tell us when it goes away so we can change the code. I'd check with your career counselor and bring docs saying you turned down the meb for normal ets to see what s/he can do,

Oh and HYT is High Year of Tenure. I didn't make e-5 by my 8 year mark. So yes separation pay.

reference in question is DOD pay regulation, volume 7A, chapter 35. Section 3502.

Try to reenlist. If they say no, and you have more than 6 years of service, you get seperation pay. Should be straight forward.

Section 3504 should not come into play, since they are not discharging you on a disability.

Reading it through a little more closely, I think they may have a point.
DOD pay regulation, volume 7A, chapter 35 covers seperation pay.
http://comptroller.defense.gov/Portals/45/documents/fmr/archive/07aarch/07a_35_Jun10.pdf
Try to reenlist. They have to give you a reason. If they deny you, then you get seperation pay. Now, pending a MEB will stop you from reenlisting, but they have to extend you until the MEB comes to a decision for discharge or retention, so it doesn't make you truly ineligible, they are really just putting the question on hold.
350202 says if you are requesting discharge, which seems to be the only way to stop an MEB, you don't get seperation pay. Now, if they counseled you incorrectly on the drawbacks of decling an MEB, I think you have grounds to request one now. I think the air force's position is you said nope, I am making myself ineligble for retention so its a non-issue if I am medical qualified. If its you, not the air force, that says nope, no more service, then you don't get seperation pay.