MEB for PTSD & Musculo-skeletal Inuries

BrokenHeloDriver

Registered Member
Hello All. I have just been referred to the MEB for PTSD, back, and neck injuries (Fort Belvoir, VA). I have done a lot of research and have a good amount of general knowledge, but I have some specific questions if anyone can help!

1. Average timeline (assuming there are no appeals)? I've been told 4-6 months by some, and 9-12 months by others.
2. Terminal leave: I have 72 days right now, how does this come into play if found unfit? Can I use all of them, or is there a limited amount you can use?
3. Is PTSD always sent to TDRL, or is there a chance for PDRL? As stated above, I also have back and neck injuries that make me unfit (literally) as a pilot.
4. At what point in the process do you know your actual separation/retirement date? Future employers are going to want to know when you are available to start, and the hiring process can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months...I would like to know as soon as possible (obviously!).

Thanks!

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
1. Timelines are highly variable. Some people claim only one or two conditions with the VA, others claim dozens. Some conditions require only one C&P exam others may require half a dozen visits. (MH, Vision, Hearing, and Balance.... created additional C&P exams). Some files are improperly rated and quality assurance sends them back.....
2. If you chose to use your leave. You will have a last day of duty to which your terminal leave + PTDY will be added. So you will have a last day of duty and about three months later have a last day on AD. I was allowed to use all of them.
3. A rating can be TDRL or PDRL, it depends on how stable/unstable your condition has been.
4. You know the date very late in the process. I always say execute no plans that involve serious money until you have orders in hand.

BrokenHeloDriver

Registered Member
1. Timelines are highly variable. Some people claim only one or two conditions with the VA, others claim dozens. Some conditions require only one C&P exam others may require half a dozen visits. (MH, Vision, Hearing, and Balance.... created additional C&P exams). Some files are improperly rated and quality assurance sends them back.....
2. If you chose to use your leave. You will have a last day of duty to which your terminal leave + PTDY will be added. So you will have a last day of duty and about three months later have a last day on AD. I was allowed to use all of them.
3. A rating can be TDRL or PDRL, it depends on how stable/unstable your condition has been.
4. You know the date very late in the process. I always say execute no plans that involve serious money until you have orders in hand.
Thanks chaplaincharlie!!

afinick

Registered Member
Hello All. I have just been referred to the MEB for PTSD, back, and neck injuries (Fort Belvoir, VA). I have done a lot of research and have a good amount of general knowledge, but I have some specific questions if anyone can help!

1. Average timeline (assuming there are no appeals)? I've been told 4-6 months by some, and 9-12 months by others.
2. Terminal leave: I have 72 days right now, how does this come into play if found unfit? Can I use all of them, or is there a limited amount you can use?
3. Is PTSD always sent to TDRL, or is there a chance for PDRL? As stated above, I also have back and neck injuries that make me unfit (literally) as a pilot.
4. At what point in the process do you know your actual separation/retirement date? Future employers are going to want to know when you are available to start, and the hiring process can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months...I would like to know as soon as possible (obviously!).

Thanks!

I am at the end of my MEB and also at Belvoir. I was told six months is about how long it would take. I started this process on May 1, 2019. Timelines are variable, but I wouldn’t expect it to take less than 6 months. However, you should start preparing as if it’s going to take less than 6 months.

When you get your ratings back and sign your 199 is when you will get a NLT date. This is your date of separation and it’s usually 90 days out from when you hit transproc. It took 20 days for me to get my date. Unfortunately, it’s looking like I will not get to use all of my leave and take 20 days PTDY. I plan to take the PTDY and sell back some leave. An extension can be requested, but it is not likely to be approved. You also need to factor in how many days of leave you will accrue during this process and the leave you will accrue while on terminal.

Mental Health diagnoses are typically sent to TDRL, but not always. In my case, I was placed on PDRL with a mental health diagnosis.

You will be required to attend a briefing that outlines a lot of services/benefits that you may be able to receive. One of those benefits is Vocational Rehab. If you qualify, and you most likely will, they can help you with job placement.

This process can be extremely frustrating. There’s a lot of waiting and uncertainty. Fortunately, Belvoir seems to have really good PEBLOs and legal counsel. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM or ask on the thread. I am happy to share what knowledge I have.

BrokenHeloDriver

Registered Member
I am at the end of my MEB and also at Belvoir. I was told six months is about how long it would take. I started this process on May 1, 2019. Timelines are variable, but I wouldn’t expect it to take less than 6 months. However, you should start preparing as if it’s going to take less than 6 months.

When you get your ratings back and sign your 199 is when you will get a NLT date. This is your date of separation and it’s usually 90 days out from when you hit transproc. It took 20 days for me to get my date. Unfortunately, it’s looking like I will not get to use all of my leave and take 20 days PTDY. I plan to take the PTDY and sell back some leave. An extension can be requested, but it is not likely to be approved. You also need to factor in how many days of leave you will accrue during this process and the leave you will accrue while on terminal.

Mental Health diagnoses are typically sent to TDRL, but not always. In my case, I was placed on PDRL with a mental health diagnosis.

You will be required to attend a briefing that outlines a lot of services/benefits that you may be able to receive. One of those benefits is Vocational Rehab. If you qualify, and you most likely will, they can help you with job placement.

This process can be extremely frustrating. There’s a lot of waiting and uncertainty. Fortunately, Belvoir seems to have really good PEBLOs and legal counsel. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM or ask on the thread. I am happy to share what knowledge I have.
I really appreciate the information! My initial claim was submitted on 3-19-2020, but the MSC was very transparent about the impact the current pandemic is having on the entire process. The general understanding I got, was that timelines were out the window. I was told, "I have no idea when you will even have your appointments scheduled". So that's fun!

I currently have 75 days of leave. I am anticipating having to sell back some of those days.

Lastly, I, unfortunately, don't get a great impression from my PEBLO. There have been multiple things I've picked up on that led me to this conclusion. Here is to hoping for the best.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">