MEB for PTSD

C_nasstty

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
My MH doctor discussed with my command that after my trauma Treatment for my PTSD/Anexity is over in March that my case will be sent up to the DAWG for review of a possible MEB now the few questions I have are as follows

1- It’s non combat related PTSD so if my case does get sent up to the full Board do I have to reach out to my old unit where the event happened and have them send me the FOUO Case file for proof that the event happened or do the individuals that work for the board do that service connected digging for me??

2-what are some main reasons why people get returned to duty from a MH recommended MEB for PTSD/Anxiety

3-how much weight does your commanders impact letter/Statement have on the decision of the Board

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran

This is basically how you’ll get rated. Look at the DBQ in this link:

https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-0960P-3-ARE.pdf

And then read the criteria below. Question 4A on the dbq is what will drive your rating.

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders:

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as:
gross impairment in thought processes or communication;
persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate
behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent
inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance
of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory
loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name 100

Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas,
such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood,
due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals
which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical,
obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting
the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively;
impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods
of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and
hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including
work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain
effective relationships 70

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and
productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial,
circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once
a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment
of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned
material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired
abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in
establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships 50

Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work
efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational
tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine
behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms
as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or
less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as
forgetting names, directions, recent events) 30

Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms
which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational
tasks only during periods of significant stress, or; symptoms controlled
by continuous medication 10

A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not
severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social
functioning or to require continuous medication0

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Now to answer your questions. You want the commander statement to align with and agree with the Narsum. Ie, what is wrong with you that requires a MEB. These two documents should align. If your commander statement says you walk on water but the doctor says you can’t do your job, then that becomes an issue at the PEB and could result in a fit for duty finding. Use your command open door policy and discuss this with your commander.

Also the higher up on the scale your rated the more likely to be unfit. If you only get rated at 10% they might find you fit. If they say you’re at 100% then you’ll likely be unfit.

So bottom line if you want an unfit finding, make sure your condition is well documented with the criteria above and ask your commander rot say something like “this person does their very best but still falls short because of their condition, recommend unfit”.

C_nasstty

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Now to answer your questions. You want the commander statement to align with and agree with the Narsum. Ie, what is wrong with you that requires a MEB. These two documents should align. If your commander statement says you walk on water but the doctor says you can’t do your job, then that becomes an issue at the PEB and could result in a fit for duty finding. Use your command open door policy and discuss this with your commander.

Also the higher up on the scale your rated the more likely to be unfit. If you only get rated at 10% they might find you fit. If they say you’re at 100% then you’ll likely be unfit.

So bottom line if you want an unfit finding, make sure your condition is well documented with the criteria above and ask your commander rot say something like “this person does their very best but still falls short because of their condition, recommend unfit”.
So is it possible to be found unfit but rated lower than 30%? That would mean your just being medically discharged but not medically retired correct ?

C_nasstty

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
This is basically how you’ll get rated. Look at the DBQ in this link:

https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-0960P-3-ARE.pdf

And then read the criteria below. Question 4A on the dbq is what will drive your rating.

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders:

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as:
gross impairment in thought processes or communication;
persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate
behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent
inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance
of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory
loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name 100

Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas,
such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood,
due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals
which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical,
obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting
the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively;
impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods
of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and
hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including
work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain
effective relationships 70

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and
productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial,
circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once
a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment
of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned
material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired
abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in
establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships 50

Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work
efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational
tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine
behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms
as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or
less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as
forgetting names, directions, recent events) 30

Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms
which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational
tasks only during periods of significant stress, or; symptoms controlled
by continuous medication 10

A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not
severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social
functioning or to require continuous medication0
Never had any type of suicidal ideation so Does that puts me at under 70% automatically ?

matt.edward.jones

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Nothing is automatic. It is subjective, but you can do your best to make it less so by having well-documented symptoms that directly relate to the criteria. I suggest getting statements from friends, family, colleagues that describe how your condition impacts yoursocial, domestic, and work life when your symptoms are at their worst. The people who have the most influence over your rating are people who don't really know you and need all the information they can get to make an informed decision. You control what information they will receive.
Never had any type of suicidal ideation so Does that puts me at under 70% automatically ?

C_nasstty

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Nothing is automatic. It is subjective, but you can do your best to make it less so by having well-documented symptoms that directly relate to the criteria. I suggest getting statements from friends, family, colleagues that describe how your condition impacts yoursocial, domestic, and work life when your symptoms are at their worst. The people who have the most influence over your rating are people who don't really know you and need all the information they can get to make an informed decision. You control what information they will receive.
Okay now that’s some good advice! Now tell me at which stage or part of the MEB Process can I submit theses Statements from my colleagues ?

matt.edward.jones

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
You can bring them to your C&P exam, but I would also suggest uploading directly into your case via va.gov or ebenefits. If you are drafting it for the other person's signature then keep in mind the criteria that examiner and rater will be looking for, and don't make them hunt for it by including things that aren't directly in support of what you need them to see.

There is a VA form for this, and I've used it, but some VSOs advise against. More reading on that here: https://www.veteranslawblog.org/va-form-21-4138

Here are some good pointers, regardless of the medium on which you choose to submit these statements: https://www.hillandponton.com/write-convincing-statement-support-claim/

C_nasstty

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
You can bring them to your C&P exam, but I would also suggest uploading directly into your case via va.gov or ebenefits. If you are drafting it for the other person's signature then keep in mind the criteria that examiner and rater will be looking for, and don't make them hunt for it by including things that aren't directly in support of what you need them to see.

There is a VA form for this, and I've used it, but some VSOs advise against. More reading on that here: https://www.veteranslawblog.org/va-form-21-4138

Here are some good pointers, regardless of the medium on which you choose to submit these statements: https://www.hillandponton.com/write-convincing-statement-support-claim/
Okay so my one of my largest corners is the actual service related event that happened to me .. do I actually have to reach out to the investigatations unit at my last base where the event happened and request to be given the case file or does the MEB/PEB do the event hunting prove digging for me

cakebake12

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I'm completely new at my current base, had to get wavier to come here and going up meb but my commander (who is actually our director, a civilian GS) doesn't know anything about me or how I am at the job. My old unit however I was there for 4 years and they knew me quite well and how sick I was, their input would make the difference?

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">