MEB for RA w/joint erosion

Jake40

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello All,
I’m new to the forum and wanted to get an idea of what’s ahead. I was diagnosed with RA through RF and CCP test. Both tests were off the charts. I now have swollen joints with X-ray confirmed joint erosion in my hands and wrists. I am taking sulfasalazine and it seems to help with the exacerbations but I still get them. Once or twice a month my knees and ankles flare up and it’s excruciating. My condition went to the DAWG and they recommended the MEB. It is now with AFPC for MEB determination. I’m over 20 years of service so I’m not too worried about the outcome.

My question is...what’s the likelihood of a RTD response? I know I’m early in the process and it seems crazy to ask. However, I’m trying to plan around this uncertainty. I refuse to take biologics because of the side effects. Eventually, they may become a reality but for now I’m surviving on the sulfasalazine. Thank you for listening to my ramble.

The odds of RTD are likely very small. After 20, any unfitting condition usually results in retirement. Given your description of your joints, retirement is probably best for you and the service.

The odds of RTD are likely very small. After 20, any unfitting condition usually results in retirement. Given your description of your joints, retirement is probably best for you and the service.
That was my thoughts as well. Thank you for your input. Now to sit and wait. Fortunately, I’ve got 21 years experience in “hurry up and wait.” Lol!

The process is long, but you may well receive a retirement benefit greater than your YOS. Hang tough. Best wishes.

So DAWG comes back with a RTD recommendation. Package getting sent to AFPC for their take.

Hmmm... Usually they do not RTD for chronic issues unless you improve drastically on the meds.

In one month’s time they went from reccomending an MEB to RTD before sending to AFPC. My condition has not changed. AFPC coded me with a 6 month RILO.