MEB for spinal fusion

dcarrell

Registered Member
I have a few questions I would like to ask. First a quick background, I am a 31YO male combat arms AD Soldier in the Army. I had three level spinal fusion on 16OCT, the doc just started my MEB. I have ten years in the Army with four deployments to Iraq for a total of 49 months. So here are my questions.
1. Doc says my condition is spinal stenosis, my condition got way worse in Iraq the last time, should I get a LOD investagation done? Does the VA give a % for spinal stenosis?

2. I have spoke to a MEB clerk/pencil pusher, he has me a appt for next week, should I go to JAG before then? Or see what the appt is about so I will have more info for JAG?

3. Somewhere on one of these forums someone said I could start my VA paperwork without the MEB/PEB results, is that true? And if so, where do I even start?

4. I have a breathing machine I am expose to use for sleep apnea, I also have PTSD that I have been seeing counselors for. If I was to get discharged would VA cover those condition as well?

Thank you for your time, I kinda understand the system, MED then PEB, and VA actually does the %. But I havent spoken to a PEBLO yet, waiting to get my medical records. I just want to be as informed as I can be, so I dont have to fight the VA for the next 30 years.

1. Doc says my condition is spinal stenosis, my condition got way worse in Iraq the last time, should I get a LOD investagation done? Does the VA give a % for spinal stenosis?

Yes, if you were injured in the line of duty, an LOD helps your case for the VA and for the MEB/PEB.

2. I have spoke to a MEB clerk/pencil pusher, he has me a appt for next week, should I go to JAG before then? Or see what the appt is about so I will have more info for JAG?

I would not think you would need to speak with a JAG until the NARSUM is completed. HOWEVER, I would not sign anything if asked to do so. If they do push you to sign any documents, tell them you would like to confer with the JAG first.

3. Somewhere on one of these forums someone said I could start my VA paperwork without the MEB/PEB results, is that true? And if so, where do I even start?
I believe you may have misread something. The only way you can file a claim with the VA before the MEB/PEB is if you are a Guard or Reserve member. The ideal of the IDES is to get your VA ratings BEFORE you are separated or retired.

4. I have a breathing machine I am expose to use for sleep apnea, I also have PTSD that I have been seeing counselors for. If I was to get discharged would VA cover those condition as well?

When you mean "covered" I am assuming you mean insurance. If you are retired at 30% or greater, you will get TRICARE Standard for you and your family for the rest of your life. Treatment for any service related condition documented in your service medical records will guarantee you treatment at a VA hospital, even if you are separated with severance pay. I also believe if you are rated at 50% or greater by the VA, you will be provided a CHAMPUS type of insurance for yourself.

Good Luck!

Thanks rickman,
I will let you know how things go. And I did misread that for NG. Thanks again

Dcarrel,
it sounds as if our stories are just about identical. I had the same procedure on my neck back in july amd i still haven't even received my permanent profile. i am trying to learn as much as i can here. how did you get yours so fast? what is the first thinkg i need to do?

will

I have a few questions I would like to ask. First a quick background, I am a 31YO male combat arms AD Soldier in the Army. I had three level spinal fusion on 16OCT, the doc just started my MEB. I have ten years in the Army with four deployments to Iraq for a total of 49 months. So here are my questions.
1. Doc says my condition is spinal stenosis, my condition got way worse in Iraq the last time, should I get a LOD investagation done? Does the VA give a % for spinal stenosis? Yes see the VASRD. You can download it on this site. Your range of motion will be a large consideration for your back rating.

2. I have spoke to a MEB clerk/pencil pusher, he has me a appt for next week, should I go to JAG before then? Or see what the appt is about so I will have more info for JAG? I don't think you need to see JAG yet. The process generally goes like this. P3 profile initiated, MEB doc see this and reviews it. He concurs and codes you P3 in the system. You do your appointment with the MEB clerk and fill out a medical summary. They said set up an appointment with the MEB doc. After that, your PEBlo will call you in for an initial counseling and make an appointment to see the VA rep. The PEBlO will then make your VA physical appointments.

3. Somewhere on one of these forums someone said I could start my VA paperwork without the MEB/PEB results, is that true? And if so, where do I even start? See above

4. I have a breathing machine I am expose to use for sleep apnea, I also have PTSD that I have been seeing counselors for. If I was to get discharged would VA cover those condition as well? Yes

Thank you for your time, I kinda understand the system, MED then PEB, and VA actually does the %. But I havent spoken to a PEBLO yet, waiting to get my medical records. I just want to be as informed as I can be, so I dont have to fight the VA for the next 30 years.

This whole process is a machine. A well oiled one no!, but if you follow up it tends to go better. Make all your appointments and go prepared. I keep a file box of everything in my truck. That way I can refer to a paper quickly when I go to an appointment. Nobody takes care of you like you can.

Stonewme,
I have not received a permannent profile either. The doc that did the surgery on my back started the MEB for me. I have the first appt with them monday, so I will let you know what they have to say then.

I am begining the same process combined with a torn meniscus in my knee and degenerative joint disease in both knees. I am a 50YO RA soldier. My Branch is requiring a weekly update, and I have been going through the pain management steps while symptoms have gotten worse. I am leaning towards a medical retirement as I am literally "too old for this Sh*t" :cool: No offense. Any advice would be appreciated as my neurosurgeon is leaning towards pain management while I have a bulging compromised disk at L5. I have 9 years active and 14 in the reserves (concurrent). Oh, and I have a T3 for 90 days.

I've been on a board for the past 13 months for my spine fusion I had on my T11-L1. My board first started around Dec 2010 and it sat on someones desk for a long time. When I kept calling just about a every other week for about 5 months, I was finally informed that my case manager had done nothing with my board. Then later on I was informed that he was fired from his job because he had done this to other service member aswell. I had to start my board all over again becuase most of my evaluations had expired. Now about 7-8 months later, I still have no results. I called my case manager yesterday and she told me that my board was already done with the DOD and the VA and i was just waiting on final review and that I should have my findings within a month. Also in my board were 5 surgerys I had on my spine, small bowel reception (surgery I had in my abdominal area), 2 broken ribs, and small loss of motion in my left arm, collapse lung, and internal bleeding. My spine fusion is listed as my main reason for the board. I have no idea what to expect from my findings. Does anyone have an idea? Also I am almost 5 months past my EAS....Medhold :(

USMC_Jesse,

I am in the same boat as you. I had C3-C7 spinal surgery in March 2010 and another in May 2011. My package has been "awaiting final review" for about a month now. You should have a VA rep, that went over your medical record with you, prior to all of your QTC appointments, to list all of your VA claimed conditions. Try talking to them first. Next person I would talk to is your PEBLO, usually the one in the Hospital that you signed all of your documentation with. They receive weekly updates on the status of all the packages that came from their hospital. They should know exactly where your is. If not, then ask them to call for status, especially since it has been sitting for so long and technically it is past the "timeline" that was published for the new system of PEB/MEB. That is where I would start. Let me know if you need anything else.