MEB?-Knee injury aggravated by arthrofibrosis (lock knee)

AFLady4

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello, I am recovering from my second knee injury and like the first one I have arthrofibrosis (extreme scarring that locks the knee). Between my two injuries I have also a torn popliteal muscle and other scarring that causes extreme pain when I run. Regardless, prior to injury #2, I finally ran my fitness test (after 6 years), but now I am back where I started 6 years ago. I currently cannot flex my knee past 50 degrees (6 wks post surgery), and everything is tightening up again. Needless to say, once they do get me walking again, I foresee many years of physical therapy and other modalities to even get me running again. That's just running. I'm not sure how long it will take to pass the run portion of the fitness test.

My question is knowing how my knee has reacted in the past and having a good idea it's going to be just as long a road in recovery would I be smart to request an MEB?

I understand that the period from surgery to MEB is 1 year for recovery. I will do everything the doc and physical therapy ask me to do, but I know my body better than anyone. It's going to be a long, hard road to recovery, and I'm not sure I can do that in the military and fully recover.

Any advice and insight is appreciated!

UPDATE: Sorry, I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum, but responses still welcomed.

Hello, I am recovering from my second knee injury and like the first one I have arthrofibrosis (extreme scarring that locks the knee). Between my two injuries I have also a torn popliteal muscle and other scarring that causes extreme pain when I run. Regardless, prior to injury #2, I finally ran my fitness test (after 6 years), but now I am back where I started 6 years ago. I currently cannot flex my knee past 50 degrees (6 wks post surgery), and everything is tightening up again. Needless to say, once they do get me walking again, I foresee many years of physical therapy and other modalities to even get me running again. That's just running. I'm not sure how long it will take to pass the run portion of the fitness test.

My question is knowing how my knee has reacted in the past and having a good idea it's going to be just as long a road in recovery would I be smart to request an MEB?

I understand that the period from surgery to MEB is 1 year for recovery. I will do everything the doc and physical therapy ask me to do, but I know my body better than anyone. It's going to be a long, hard road to recovery, and I'm not sure I can do that in the military and fully recover.

Any advice and insight is appreciated!

I'm on the road to recovery. I can now reach 120 degrees, but I still have a lot of scar tissue in my knee causing chronic swelling and pain. In addition to that, the scar tissue is causing functionality issues with my knee to the point that I am having difficulty rebuilding my thigh muscle which atrophied after the first surgery. The second surgery was helpful to get my ROM back on track, but caused extensive scarring on top of the extensive scarring.

With that being said, I am still unable to run and am being put on my 3rd profile which has initiated the IDES process. According to my ortho surgeon he is concerned that I've hit a plateau with my knee and has given me a corticosteroid shot in my knee to help with the pain and inflammation. I believe our limit is going to be 2 shots total. Regardless, he initiated the IDES process b/c he believes it will take more than 1 year from now to get me back to running if he can, and I've already been on 2 profiles for the same injury.

My question is...if I'm progressively getting better (even though slow) how does that affect the IDES process?

Regardless of how you feel, if your current injury interferes with the performance of your duty as per regulation a MEB is initiated. I'm assuming you are AF so not sure what the AF regulations are but for us Army folks is AR 40-501.

Read upon the AF regulations which governs standards of fitness.

Working with LA AFB on the MEB process. I'm currently serving a tour with DCMA (DoD Civilian agency) in San Diego, and my servicing base is Andrews AFB...literally across the country, and my servicing hospital is Navy. Talk about so many ways for things to get screwy! Regardless, talked to a PCM at LA AFB this morning and he was going to recommend IRILO b/c I was still going to physical therapy. Saw my physical therapist this afternoon who told me I was done with physical therapy b/c they have gotten me as far as they could. Called the PCM back to tell him I've plateaued and no longer recommended physical therapy. PCM said that means automatic MEB.

Question...I suffer from migraines, too. I checked the ratings and mine rate at 30% b/c I get them 1-2x/month and they are prostrating. I've seen a neurologist who put me on meds. When I get my C&P done, and the Air Force looks at my ratings will they include the migraines as part of my unfitting condition even though it was my knee that started the MEB process?

Your migraine I think should be added to your unfitting condition depending on the severity if not, once you receive your NARSUM, take it to legal and they know how to fight hard for you depending on medical documentation about your migraine. I have similar issue and all am waiting for now is my NARSUM so I can add other conditions that I think is unfit if not already added. Best of luck!

Thanks! I get them every month, and they are starting to become more frequent. They are bad! I have the sensitivity to sounds, smells, light, movement, and get the vision distortion. Sometimes they get so bad that I can't stop throwing up.

Update: I am active duty AF serving a tour in DCMA (DoD Civilian Agency) in San Diego. Since there is no AF base/hospital here I am having to work with LA AFB. The doc is finally seeing me on Monday to complete his NARSUM. It only took him 6 months (with sarcasm). The fun part of it all is that I'm due to PCS next summer cycle so I'm wondering when they'll code me 37 to stop my PCS. I'll do my best to update the timeline as it progresses.

Update: My package has been submitted to the DAWG/AFPC. My NARSUM stated that my condition is stable and does not seem will improve, but considering I can do my job CONUS I have a sneaking suspicion that they will just slap me with a permanent profile and send me back to duty. Will keep you guys updated.

As you can see from my timeline I have been going through the full process. Package just sent today to AFPC. Now to play the waiting game.

Good luck! From the looks of it they are taking about 2 weeks to turn those around. Hopefully you get yours sent to the VA sooner.

Good luck! From the looks of it they are taking about 2 weeks to turn those around. Hopefully you get yours sent to the VA sooner.
Thanks. I'm to the point of just wanting a decision to be made so I know what my next step is.