MEB - Knees

GDCowan

Registered Member
Good Day Everyone,

I have been in the Coast Guard for almost 8 years (active duty). When I first got in to the Coast Guard I got sent to my first 378. Shortly after we left port my knees swelled to the size of grape fruits. I took it easy for the rest of the patrol and when I returned to home port medical stated to me that I had patella tracking (knees were not centered correctly). After a year or so of physical therapy the pain went away. About 2 years later the pain started coming off and on, and I never really paided attention to it. About a year and a half ago I was stationed on another 378 and with in a couple weeks of the patrol I started having extreme pain in both knees. I was flown out of Panama and taken back to the U.S. Through x-rays and 2 surgeries (1 on each knee) they determined that I had arthritis and in each knee I only had 10% of my cartilage left. Shortly after my first knee surgery they initiated my medical board.

I am coming up to my one year anniversary for the start of my medical board and it is getting a little aggravating. I have not heard one thing since my package has been submitted. I have been checking up every month and there isn’t any, new news.

The reason why I am posting here today is to get some information that they have been unable to tell me. I was wondering if anyone that you may know, or know of anyone who has had a medical board based on a similar situation. From what I can understand in the manuals is, if someone is unable to go to sea, run, jump, squat and do basic functions with their knees they are not allowed to stay in.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for your time.