Meb-Narsum

Fitch1988

Registered Member
Greetings all. I’m wondering if someone could help me better understand this process. So my va appointments are all complete and my NARSUM was submitted to my PEBLO however she states that I won’t be able to see anything until the MEB goes in for signatures? Based on what she has told me the meb will be complete by the time I see the documentation then I have the right to rebut or something to that nature. Is this standard protocol? From what I have been reading others have been able to review there NARSUM before it goes up. Thanks for your attention.

Greetings all. I’m wondering if someone could help me better understand this process. So my va appointments are all complete and my NARSUM was submitted to my PEBLO however she states that I won’t be able to see anything until the MEB goes in for signatures? Based on what she has told me the meb will be complete by the time I see the documentation then I have the right to rebut or something to that nature. Is this standard protocol? From what I have been reading others have been able to review there NARSUM before it goes up. Thanks for your attention.
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

From an U.S. Army perspective during my tenure in the DoD IDES process, the MEB Physician stated that "as a courtesy" she would call me to review the NARSUM prior to her official dictation. Upon receipt of the official MEB findings, I still had to request a MEB IMR in order to correct deficiencies within the documentation. As such, the IMR was favorable; therefore, the MEB findings to include its applicable documentation were adjusted accordingly prior to being forwarded to the PEB for processing.

To that extent, I am not aware if the other military branches have a specific "standard protocol" which requires the previewing of the MEB NARSUM prior to official completion. Hopefully, other PEB Forum members shall provide their feedback and/or experiences to your specific inquiry also. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Mine was done the same way just a few days ago. I was sent the entire MEB Packet (NARSUM, 3947) that has been signed off by two doctors already. I have reached out to Legal and will go over the packet next week before sending it to the PEB.

I'm not sure though if we will only look at the NARSUM or also the DBQ's from my QTC appointments for accuracy or deficiencies. Does anybody know if Legal only cares about the NARSUM or are they concerned with the QTC results also?

In my experience (Navy), I was required to sign my NARSUM and received a copy of ALL documents related to my claim prior to the PEBLO sending it up. I was given a packet with all C&P Exam results, DBQs, and my NMA. After reviewing them, my signature stated that I had no further evidence to add or changes to be made at that time.

I did two MEBs

The first one, the doc showed me the NARSUM and allowed me to correct any errors. He agreed to all my input. The big EASY button. (this ought to be process, but it is not).

The second one, the NARSUM lacked any medical clarity. It largely talked about deciciets in ADLs (activities of daily living). I was fortunate not to have to submit an IMR because the PEB directed a re-write of the NARSUM. In the end a wrong NARSUM may not effect the bottom line. If the NARSUM negatively effects the BL then and IMR is a great choice.

I did two MEBs

The first one, the doc showed me the NARSUM and allowed me to correct any errors. He agreed to all my input. The big EASY button. (this ought to be process, but it is not).

The second one, the NARSUM lacked any medical clarity. It largely talked about deciciets in ADLs (activities of daily living). I was fortunate not to have to submit an IMR because the PEB directed a re-write of the NARSUM. In the end a wrong NARSUM may not effect the bottom line. If the NARSUM negatively effects the BL then and IMR is a great choice.
What is IMR?

What is IMR?
Once you have been briefed on the complete, signed MEB results, including the completed VA compensation & pension exams (IDES only), you may submit any of the options listed below: (NOTE: You may bring someone of your choosing with you to any MEB/PEB recommendation briefing.)
1. No Election. You wish to submit your MEB case to AFPC/DPFDD without an IMR, rebuttal letter or letter of exception.
2. Elect Impartial Medical Review. After notification of your MEB results, you have five (5) calendar days to request an impartial review and if you choose to do so, provide a letter of concern to the IMR within that five (5) calendar day timeframe. An impartial physician or other appropriate healthcare professional (not involved in the MEB process) will be assigned to offer a review of your MEB case. The impartial reviewer will advise you within five (5) calendar days on whether the MEB findings adequately reflect the complete spectrum of injuries and/or illnesses for which you are being boarded. For cases in which the impartial reviewer does not validate the MEB findings, the Impartial Reviewer will contact you and the MEB Board President with the review findings and the MEB Board President may consider whether changes to the MEB package are warranted, and whether to reconvene the MEB once changes have been documented.
3. Elect to submit a Rebuttal Letter.
4. Elect to submit a Letter of Exception (LOE).

Attachments

• Disability Evaluation System Fact Sheet (April 2016).pdf
    237.1 KB · Views: 69