MEB not started yet but unit treating me like shit

pappabear_usaf

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So I am nearing 21 yrs, spotless record, held a high leadership position for three years, won awards, etc etc. My PTSD/anxiety got bad this year, along with other health issues. I can't complete a full day of work. I miss work due to migraines.

I suggested I step down from my position and they jumped on that. They picked my replacement. He's knocking it out of the park...which I guess just makes me look worse.

I'm like a leper now. I hear the mumblings and rumors and leadership doesn't even try to talk to me anymore. If that isn't bothering me, then the betrayal is.

My wounded warrior poc is trying to get me to go Operation Warfighter, which sounds perfect...but that's gonna take time. Meanwhile I literally dread going to work. I'm more tightly wound now than ever.

So while this slow as molasses in a Canadian winter process takes it's time, do I have any recourse? Or so I just keep going and wait for the unit or my health break me, whichever happens first?

Put in retirement papers? Are you currently going through an MEB? Everyone had to go through what you are going through my command was so pissed that I was retiring early they refused to write me a retirement award and gave me my final...and worst evaluation out the door...so dirty. Just going to have to keep putting one foot in front of the other until you got that DD-214 in your hand and driving off base, I know it isnt easy hang in there.

So I am nearing 21 yrs, spotless record, held a high leadership position for three years, won awards, etc etc. My PTSD/anxiety got bad this year, along with other health issues. I can't complete a full day of work. I miss work due to migraines.

I suggested I step down from my position and they jumped on that. They picked my replacement. He's knocking it out of the park...which I guess just makes me look worse.

I'm like a leper now. I hear the mumblings and rumors and leadership doesn't even try to talk to me anymore. If that isn't bothering me, then the betrayal is.

My wounded warrior poc is trying to get me to go Operation Warfighter, which sounds perfect...but that's gonna take time. Meanwhile I literally dread going to work. I'm more tightly wound now than ever.

So while this slow as molasses in a Canadian winter process takes it's time, do I have any recourse? Or so I just keep going and wait for the unit or my health break me, whichever happens first?
What's your job?

I was senior enlisted advisor to the CC. Now I'm on an office where they want me to play bldg custodian.

My MEB hasn't started yet. Medical keeps postponing it for different reasons.

When you suggested that you "step down," as hard as it may be to accept, you are going to get lower level jobs. Higher level jobs need someone that is in the office regularly; your are out due to migraines. It is not personal, it's business. The mission goes on. The upside is you are not overly tasked at a time you need a break. BTW, I thought the term SEA went away a few years back. Am I confused?

When you suggested that you "step down," as hard as it may be to accept, you are going to get lower level jobs. Higher level jobs need someone that is in the office regularly; your are out due to migraines. It is not personal, it's business. The mission goes on. The upside is you are not overly tasked at a time you need a break. BTW, I thought the term SEA went away a few years back. Am I confused?

No sir, it was a wrap up title as I am in a small unit. I was the senior enlisted person, so for three years I did all the jobs that are reserved for SNCOs (super, shirt, career advisor, unit functional, etc). So that's just what they used to keep it simple.

I do see the upside to taking a break and the mission going on. That isn't the problem. It's the treatment...because that unfortunately is personal. They expect me to be here, they don't provide me any work to do, then they mumble and grumble when I don't perform at the level a I did six months or more ago. Damned if I do, damned if I don't. It's frustrating going from award winning, mentoring over 90% of my enlisted to promotions, being the "go-to" guy...to being treated like crap (practically overnight).

Anyways, I try to treat this like every other obstacle I've faced in my life...but I'm too beat down as well from the medical/mental stuff that I am told will eventually trigger an MEB. I'd rather stuff myself in a closet than be in this building.

I had some recourse from my leadership as well. They told me they weren't putting me up for Strat because it would be a waste, since I'm being MEB'd out. I called the OAC and went to the IG. Multiple deployments and less then desirable jobs have made me what I am today, how dare they turn their back on me. I recommend you do the same. No one will take care of you, but yourself.

Perhaps your provider can talk to your leadership, so that have a better idea what is going on. Not the details, just the how you are affected. Everyone has a breaking point. We have been continuously in a deployed posture/high tempo environment since Dessert Shield. Hope you get some relief soon.

I offered for my leadership to talk to my providers. I couldn't have been any more transparent. Apparently it just wasn't good enough.

Anyways...knowing that they are putting stuff together for the DAWG/IRILO/possible MEB - do I just wait it out or do I hurt myself any by hitting the retirement button? Would that speed the MEB to start?

Good question. Is it better to put in to retire, or suck it up and wait for an MEB that I keep getting told is coming (per PEBLO)? I'm a REDUX signee...was going for 24 yrs to get back to the 50% realm (at near 21 yrs now).

If you are as miserable as you state and want out as bad as you state then I don't understand why you aren't hitting the button.

Ultimately it's just apprehension. Afraid to take the uniform off, afraid to "quit", afraid of the uncertain future, afraid of finances, and so on.