Living4Fam

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Seeking anyone with recent experience with the MEB/PEB? I'm just in the beginning stages I guess. I'm starting with a Profile and go from there.

I've completed all C&P exams on the VA side following my deployment that resulted in being rated 100 P&T.

I have ALL of my exam notes from the C&Ps. Would I be expected to do them over for MEB/PEB? ANY experience or insight would be great as I've never been down this road before.

Just some background on myself. I've been in the Army Reserve for 6.5 years as a Heavy Equipment Operator with one deployment. I have approximately 1.5 left on my 8 year contract, with NO plans to reenlist. Based on my rating by the VA of100 P&T, will I likely be seen as medically unfit.

Based on my rating and my injuries listed, what do you guys think my fate will be? I know my body and I cannot continue on serving effectively. Again I'm seeking knowledge as I'm very new to this. Thanks in advance!

Following up my tour I received a 100% P&T rating for the following:
Right knee patellofemoral pain syndrome10%
Left knee patellofemoral pain syndrome10%
Obstructive sleep apnea50%
Left arm medial epicondylitis with impaired supination10%
left shoulder impingement syndrome with rotator cuff tendonitis20%
allergic rhinitis10%
thoracolumbar strain 20%
Tinnitus 10%
Irritable Bowel Syndrome 30%
left arm medial epicondylitis with limitation of flexion10%
posttraumatic stress disorder with bruxism50%

Ultimately placed on PDRL at 50% for PTSD. Took the LDES route with no issue.
I'm new to all of this. Does this mean that they didn't give you anything for the other conditions you originally listed? I just got referred to medboard this week and am really confused with the different ratings and how people are getting them.

I'm new to all of this. Does this mean that they didn't give you anything for the other conditions you originally listed? I just got referred to medboard this week and am really confused with the different ratings and how people are getting them.
You will only be rated for the referreing condition(s). In my case PTSD was the only condition for which I was reffered.

You will only be rated for the referreing condition(s). In my case PTSD was the only condition for which I was reffered.
You may also qualify for CRSC as well if your PTSD was combat driven which it obviously may be.

Who decided the "referring condition". Is it the individual or the PCM? Or both work together?

Who decided the "referring condition". Is it the individual or the PCM? Or both work together?
Your pcm or whichever doctor you are seeing a condition for decides is potentially unfitting. Your unfitting conditions count towards medical sep/retirement.

If you are not also retiring at 20+ years (Or receiving some kind of special compensations as far as I understand them) getting over 30% doesn't matter. Your VA rating will effectively decide what and how much benefits you get as long as you hit 30% or more for your dod rating.

Your pcm or whichever doctor you are seeing a condition for decides is potentially unfitting. Your unfitting conditions count towards medical sep/retirement.

If you are not also retiring at 20+ years (Or receiving some kind of special compensations as far as I understand them) getting over 30% doesn't matter. Your VA rating will effectively decide what and how much benefits you get as long as you hit 30% or more for your dod rating.
Did you have a VA Rating prior to your MEB?
Were you able to influence the referred conditions at all?

yeah, fighting for 30% seems to be a benefit if Tricare is a big deal to you, or if you have a number of combat related injuries that you can qualify to get back the retirement money. Otherwise the VA (especially for those at higher percentages) seems to provide anything else that would be beneficial...

Did you have a VA Rating prior to your MEB?
Were you able to influence the referred conditions at all?

yeah, fighting for 30% seems to be a benefit if Tricare is a big deal to you, or if you have a number of combat related injuries that you can qualify to get back the retirement money. Otherwise the VA (especially for those at higher percentages) seems to provide anything else that would be beneficial...
No, I had nothing rated until months after everything was submitted. As far as being able to influence it, the C&P exam you do with the VA is how the PEB decides the %, and your medical/non medical assessments dictate if it's fitting or unfitting.

If I didn't like my findings I could have appealed it to the formal PEB or requested VA reconsideration, but I got everything I was hoping for so no need.