Meb/peb proposed rating

Marshal

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I received my dod proposed rating. I have been diagnosed with ptsd and received 30% from the va. for whatever reason the dod dosent want to link the ptsd to a combat incident. I am going through the process to have my day in court. I just think its strange, and I cant think of any reason they would want to do that.

Its good to have right now, but its not essential at this point, it has no reflection on retirement pay or VA pay, seperation pay would be a different story. It will be used for CRSC, but they make their own determination based on evidence sent, CRSC is never automatic. DOD rating saying its combat is good evidence, but you can of course get other. The VA should note combat related, I saw it on my rating descriptions. Shrink notes maybe?

It could make a big difference because if the dod retirement ends up being higher than the va amount then I will go with the dod retirement, if the retirement is because of combat and the injury happened inside a combat zone then the retirement money is not taxable. if its not linked to combat than the crsc will probably not be available.

It could make a big difference because if the dod retirement ends up being higher than the va amount then I will go with the dod retirement, if the retirement is because of combat and the injury happened inside a combat zone then the retirement money is not taxable. if its not linked to combat than the crsc will probably not be available.

In retrospect, the IPEB shall review all "unfit for duty" medical conditions for potentially a determination of a combat/combat-related finding on at least one "unfit for duty" medical condition for the specific purpose of military pay federal tax exemption.

As such, until I received my military disability retirement pay a couple of months ago, I wasn't comfortable that I would receive a full military pay federal tax exemption due to one of my "unfit for duty" medical condition was denied a combat-related determination even after submission of my formal appeal!

In my opinion, it's in your best interest to apply for CRSC then allow your specific military branch to determine if your medical condition(s) is(are) indeed combat/combat-related; the worst case scenario is the receipt of a CRSC disapproval letter but you can still appeal that decision if warranted.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Last edited:
I am planning on applying for crsc, but I thought I didn't apply for it until after the meb/peb board is over. I am national guard.

I am planning on applying for crsc, but I thought I didn't apply for it until after the meb/peb board is over. I am national guard.
Indeed, that's a valid assumption albeit you will need your DoVA D-RAS final ratings in order to have the "best" opportunity to obtain a CRSC approval letter!

As such, please reference the following DFAS URL for detailed information:

http://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crsc.html .

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

It may have been an oversight, you may be able to have the lawyer submit a quick letter requesting the change, possibly resubmitting relevant information. Often a small boo boo like that can be corrected without a FPEB. If the letter doesn't work, it doesn't prevent you from continuing on to the FPEB. Generally the FPEB is for arguing unfit/fit, there shouldn't be alot of room to argue combat or not, either its in the notes about the traumatic event or not, so should be an easy fix.

here is the letter that the lawyer sent to appeal the decision

Attachments

• edited letter.docx
    188 KB · Views: 23
I received my dod proposed rating. I have been diagnosed with ptsd and received 30% from the va. for whatever reason the dod dosent want to link the ptsd to a combat incident. I am going through the process to have my day in court. I just think its strange, and I cant think of any reason they would want to do that.

It may have been an oversight, you may be able to have the lawyer submit a quick letter requesting the change, possibly resubmitting relevant information. Often a small boo boo like that can be corrected without a FPEB. If the letter doesn't work, it doesn't prevent you from continuing on to the FPEB. Generally the FPEB is for arguing unfit/fit, there shouldn't be alot of room to argue combat or not, either its in the notes about the traumatic event or not, so should be an easy fix.

When requesting a Formal PEB hearing, the IPEB shall review all available medical evidence and/or medical documentation for any potential change in their original determination.

As such, if the IPEB's additional review finds that an error or oversight was made or with the new medical evidence and/or medical documentation a determination for a favorable finding is feasible, then they have the authority to change their original IPEB determination.

If so, and dependant upon the overall reasons for the request of a Formal PEB hearing, the FPEB request may be cancelled since the complaint/concern/issue was potentially resolved via the IPEB's second overall review and issue of new findings.

Best Wishes!

here is the letter that the lawyer sent to appeal the decision

Hmm, as written without viewing any enclosures, it seems pretty straight-forward to me; hopefully you shall receive a favorable determination without the need for the Formal PEB hearing if that's your only issue of concern! Take care, and enjoy life! :cool:

Best Wishes!

I am hoping to not go to court. I have enough going on right now, without having to worry about a day in court.

I am hoping to not go to court. I have enough going on right now, without having to worry about a day in court.

Indeed, I definitely would concur since I had to appeal and received two separate FPEB hearing dates (first FPEB hearing was waved 30 minutes prior to the official start) during my time within the DoD IDES process cumulating a glorious 618 calendar days until official completion!

As such, I commend your "positively proactive" actions at this point for potential correction of your IPEB determination! Take care and enjoy life! :cool:

Best Wishes!

would you guys venture an estimate on how much time is left before the meb/peb process is done?

Marshall, you can be represented by counsel at the FPEB, you personal appearance is not always necessary.

I wonder if my peblo is aware of that, so far this is the first time I have had this brought to my attention