MEB/PEB Timeline (NBK - Bangor, WA)

Brosenga

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Good morning everyone,
Been scoping out the forum for the last week or so due to this whole process being shrouded in mystery (color me shocked). Below is my timeline from diagnosis to present with a few hang ups in between. For context, I am a Nuclear Machinist Mate and was diagnosed with Narcolepsy.

May 9th, 2018 - Diagnosed with Narcolepsy. Concerns of medical board and subsequent medical separation discussed.
May 10th, 2018 - Removal from radiation monitoring program. Placed in administrative role within command. \
Jan 26th, 2019 - NEC for Nuke Mechanic removed. Backdated to Nov 16th, 2018.
March 1st, 2019 - Special Duty Pay recoupment commences totaling from November 2018 to Jan 2019
March 7th, 2019 - Questions raised concerning Force Conversion or Medical Board Processes. Administrative role afforded me ample research time. I know the answer is Med Board.
March 13th, 2019 - Informed of Force Conversion Effective Feb 14th, 2019. No ability to choose new rate. Maintained as Nuclear Mechanic due to jumping chain of command and getting Med Board Started through local clinic.
March 16th, 2019 - MEB convened and referred to PEB. Presiding doctor noted that administratively the clinic dropped the ball. All pertinent medical information available and sent to PEB. VA appointment scheduled.
March 26th, 2019 - eBenefits/VA.gov shows all claims (21 currently) at the "evidence gathering, review, and decision" stage
April 1st, 2019 - Discovery of Bonus recoupment commenced in March. Went unnoticed due to previous loss of Special Duty Pay, increase in base pay and BAH due to over 8 years and the stoppage of Special Duty Pay Recoupment.
April 20th, 2019 (approximate) - QTC/VA appointments completed.
May 26th, 2019 - NARSUM/NMA, signed and approved to PEB. All point heavily to separation due to severity of condition.
May 28th, 2019 - PEB received package (Confirmed July 23rd with PEBLO)
August 1st, 2019 - No change in eBenefits/VA/go movement. Called Providence, RI (Thank you PEBforum!) and confirmed that package has not left PEB in D.C. Verified with VA that no further information beyond PEB decision is needed on their end.

This whole process is killing me constantly. I have had to decline offers to graduate school due to the expected standard timelines (with the usual DoD buffer of twice as long) being excessively exceeded. Job offers that I have had to decline due to ambiguity of start date. And a constant loss of monthly income while performing the same duties I would have performed if I had never been diagnosed to begin with (i.e. I still fulfill the duties of my assigned billet that would normally receive the special duty pay as well as reenlistment bonus).

Anyone have advice on getting movement in this case/why its taking so long/what to expect? I feel that I have already built a case in less than a week that is 100% conclusive of an "unfit" decision solely on my Narcolepsy (only condition sent to PEB since I was not aware that multiple conditions could be sent to them from the start). Based on what I have seen from cases submitted to the PEB at the same relative time on this forum, I should have received a decision by now. Every month that this is dragged out is another month of financial hardship and career/education/and family goals significantly delayed.

Thanks for any guidance,
-Benjamin

Motrin and Socks

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Good morning everyone,
Been scoping out the forum for the last week or so due to this whole process being shrouded in mystery (color me shocked). Below is my timeline from diagnosis to present with a few hang ups in between. For context, I am a Nuclear Machinist Mate and was diagnosed with Narcolepsy.

May 9th, 2018 - Diagnosed with Narcolepsy. Concerns of medical board and subsequent medical separation discussed.
May 10th, 2018 - Removal from radiation monitoring program. Placed in administrative role within command. \
Jan 26th, 2019 - NEC for Nuke Mechanic removed. Backdated to Nov 16th, 2018.
March 1st, 2019 - Special Duty Pay recoupment commences totaling from November 2018 to Jan 2019
March 7th, 2019 - Questions raised concerning Force Conversion or Medical Board Processes. Administrative role afforded me ample research time. I know the answer is Med Board.
March 13th, 2019 - Informed of Force Conversion Effective Feb 14th, 2019. No ability to choose new rate. Maintained as Nuclear Mechanic due to jumping chain of command and getting Med Board Started through local clinic.
March 16th, 2019 - MEB convened and referred to PEB. Presiding doctor noted that administratively the clinic dropped the ball. All pertinent medical information available and sent to PEB. VA appointment scheduled.
March 26th, 2019 - eBenefits/VA.gov shows all claims (21 currently) at the "evidence gathering, review, and decision" stage
April 1st, 2019 - Discovery of Bonus recoupment commenced in March. Went unnoticed due to previous loss of Special Duty Pay, increase in base pay and BAH due to over 8 years and the stoppage of Special Duty Pay Recoupment.
April 20th, 2019 (approximate) - QTC/VA appointments completed.
May 26th, 2019 - NARSUM/NMA, signed and approved to PEB. All point heavily to separation due to severity of condition.
May 28th, 2019 - PEB received package (Confirmed July 23rd with PEBLO)
August 1st, 2019 - No change in eBenefits/VA/go movement. Called Providence, RI (Thank you PEBforum!) and confirmed that package has not left PEB in D.C. Verified with VA that no further information beyond PEB decision is needed on their end.

This whole process is killing me constantly. I have had to decline offers to graduate school due to the expected standard timelines (with the usual DoD buffer of twice as long) being excessively exceeded. Job offers that I have had to decline due to ambiguity of start date. And a constant loss of monthly income while performing the same duties I would have performed if I had never been diagnosed to begin with (i.e. I still fulfill the duties of my assigned billet that would normally receive the special duty pay as well as reenlistment bonus).

Anyone have advice on getting movement in this case/why its taking so long/what to expect? I feel that I have already built a case in less than a week that is 100% conclusive of an "unfit" decision solely on my Narcolepsy (only condition sent to PEB since I was not aware that multiple conditions could be sent to them from the start). Based on what I have seen from cases submitted to the PEB at the same relative time on this forum, I should have received a decision by now. Every month that this is dragged out is another month of financial hardship and career/education/and family goals significantly delayed.

Thanks for any guidance,
-Benjamin

Benjamin,

I posted my timeline not too long ago. My package was sent to PEB in DC on May 27th. I called DC and Package left Captains desk on July 15th and decision was made. I was told Package needs to be QA'd and then being sent to VA for rating. Today is August 2nd and RI still hasn't received my package. DC told me they usually have 6 Captains working Boards, 2 retired and 2 transferred with no replacements. Our cases aren't special, no matter what your injury/illness is, its just taking a long time due to manning.

Good luck though bro.

-Jordan

Waste Heat

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
What was the Providence, RI number you called?
Guardguy, based on your user name and some of the terminology used in your timeline I assume you might be Army?? If so calling Providence, RI will be of no help. All Navy and Marine IDES goes to Providence. Not sure which VA Office handles the other branches. Just wanted to pass along to help minimize your frustration.

Guardguy11

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
401-223-3700
Thanks man! They lady was a pistol but exactly who I needed to talk to.

Waste, I am actually Air National Guard and that lady was able to give me the exact info I was looking for. My IPEB package was sent from my PEBLO on 11 July and I haven't heard anything back. She was able to tell me that the IPEB board sent the package to the VA on the 23rd of July and they received my medical records on 31 July which started their 20 day countdown.

So far, other than my VA C&P appointments, my timeline has been really close to the stated goals they are shooting for. I am hoping that trend continues.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">