MEB personal statement

Nikolas671

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello everyone,
I have just started the whole MEB process two weeks ago. I met with my attorney and he informed me not to write a personal statement. I then attended a DTAPS class where they told all of us that we should submit a personal statement after they found out most of our attorneys advised us not to write one. What do you all think of this? If it vital to write a personal statement on your behalf?

Navy757

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I have also heard this advice, and I think it comes down to what is in your package and what is your comfort level.

Things to remember, this is a chance to have your voice heard. Clear up the picture and let the board see how this effects your daily life.

With that being said, I don't believe that the board gives good or great personal statements that much weight. But may give a bad personal statement more weight than it deserves. This is purely speculative on my part as I have never been a board member. So I would definitely have my personal statement chopped by my lawyer or legal services provided.

I did provided a statement and it was one of the hardest things I have ever written and wouldn't want to have to do it again, so best of luck.

johnbgately

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If the MEB Narrative Summaries/Addenda, VA C&P exams and your Nonmedical Assessment- USAF- Form 1185, USA-DA7652, USN Nonmedical Assessment Form and USCG Command endorsement- adequately describe the unfitting nature of your various medical conditions and any gaffes in such documents have been addressed by rebuttals or IMR reviews, then a personal statement may not be necessary. However, such statements may be used to contradict your testimony should you have to appear before a formal hearing, so any personal statement should be reviewed with your counsel- military or civilian-before submission.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">