MEB process and appeal questions

raph81

Registered Member
Hi. I have a general question about the meb process. I have 16 yrs 8 months in and I am trying to make it to 20 yrs. I am currently pending my va evaluation under the IDES meb process and am fighting to stay in. I have calves issues that makes me only able to do pt test on abdominal and sit-ups and can’t deploy due to requirements of training prior to deployment. What can I do that would be helpful to plead my case? Would letters from co-workers and supervisors assist me? I went through 2 exercises while in Korea in full mop gear and as Korea is a walking base I walked everywhere. Went through 2-3 exercises at my current base. My plan to appeal up to the SeCAF if needed. I am to do all my duties with no duty restrictions only mobility. I’ve read and printed the AFI relating to Limited Assignment Status and plan on using that angle as well. Any thoughts on what I can do would be helpful.

chaplaincharlie

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Can't deploy due to training? What if you deployed as FP or an augmentee of some kind. The gaining MAJCOM/SC (ie CENTCOM/SG) can waive you in. It would make it hard for them to claim your not retainable.

raph81

Registered Member
Can't deploy due to training? What if you deployed as FP or an augmentee of some kind. The gaining MAJCOM/SC (ie CENTCOM/SG) can waive you in. It would make it hard for them to claim your not retainable.[/QUOTE

Thank you. I definitely myself don’t have a problem with deploying. The training requires me to run and currently can’t. If it’s life and death I would run and deal with pain later, but my pcm said they couldn’t waive the run for training. Sad part is I have no duty restrictions. I can do the job which is admin work and recently did my weapons quail and got expert. I’m going to fight every angle I can to stay in.

I am a former Special Forces operator-turned medical officer. I just retired from the Army after 37 years (18+ yrs enlisted/18+ yrs officer). I have more than 20 deployments all around the world. I am going to tell it to you straight. I have placed many soldiers into the MEB system and also underwent one before I retired. Unfortunately, you will likely go to your formal PEB and be found unfit. They are really cracking down on those with deployment restrictions. You may say, well I can't do such and such in training but I will do it when someone is shooting at me. Unfortunately in reality you may not have to do it just once for a short period. It may be over and over again for an extended period of time. Over time you may become a liability to yourself and/or get yourself or fellow soldiers killed because you cannot keep up. THAT IS THE REALITY. Now your CDR had input into this MEB when it began. He/she likely reported on the DA 7652 (Physical Disability Evaluation System) that you had limitations that affected your ability to perform key military functions. These were likely corroborated by your medical record. Letters to the PEB will not be as good as your PL and NCOIC coming with you to act as a witness to your abilities to perform. They will have to pay for their own ticket/lodging to the board though. Anything is worth a try if it is that important to you. I will tell you that if you have one of those very marketable MOS skills and are found unfit, you can make more money on the outside PLUS get your MEB and VA disability pay. Plus there are many educational opportunities, Etc., for disabled vets. You may find that you are better off getting out. Sit down and ask yourself why you want to stay in until you are at 20 yrs. Something to think about.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">