MEB Process?

yaboytcell

Registered Member
I don't want to rant on too much, and I'm sure I won't get the best help without providing the full information but here it goes.

I'm currently on a permanent profile (and have been for over a year) for no running, due to stress fractures in both of my tibias that have failed to heal and I have exhausted every method of treatment with no success. I also have a dead mans profile due to 3 tears in my right shoulder, and a herniated disc in my back, 2 severely bulging almost herniated discs, and 3 severely degenerated discs in my lower back. This profile has been for about 5 months. My doctor is getting ready to put in my P3 profile to start the MED board process, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about this.

Can I get medical disability through the military and apply for VA disability as well when I'm out?
How do I go about make sure I get correctly rated for my problems, rather than them trying to low ball me and get me through the process and kick me out?

I also have other medical conditions such as severe insomnia, GERD, etc, but those aren't the major problems associated with me. I have read horror stories of people getting hardly any benefits, and with being so broken aren't able to do much in the civilian world, so are basically screwed. I want to be as informed as possible to make sure that I get the best treatment that I can, and get the most benefit for my family. I'm not sure if it matters but I'm a SPC in the ARMY.

Thanks for any help or information!

I really urge you to read through the forums; Every one of your questions are asked/answered weekly if not daily. The amount of information on this site is enormous! Here is a tip:

go to google.com and search like this:

Code:
site:pebforum.com YOUR SEARCH GOES HERE

Example:
site:pebforum.com SSDI
will return ONLY pebforum.com pages that pertain to SSDI

Conversely, you can use the search function on the top right of the page.

If you want a pretty good summary of the process, search for Warrior644's posts here on the forum. He has laid it out for people numerous times. best of luck.

If you want a pretty good summary of the process, search for Warrior644's posts here on the forum. He has laid it out for people numerous times. best of luck.

Thanks, PsychOfficer; tagged team assistance at its best in my opinion! ;)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

I don't want to rant on too much, and I'm sure I won't get the best help without providing the full information but here it goes.

I'm currently on a permanent profile (and have been for over a year) for no running, due to stress fractures in both of my tibias that have failed to heal and I have exhausted every method of treatment with no success. I also have a dead mans profile due to 3 tears in my right shoulder, and a herniated disc in my back, 2 severely bulging almost herniated discs, and 3 severely degenerated discs in my lower back. This profile has been for about 5 months. My doctor is getting ready to put in my P3 profile to start the MED board process, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about this.

Can I get medical disability through the military and apply for VA disability as well when I'm out?
How do I go about make sure I get correctly rated for my problems, rather than them trying to low ball me and get me through the process and kick me out?

I also have other medical conditions such as severe insomnia, GERD, etc, but those aren't the major problems associated with me. I have read horror stories of people getting hardly any benefits, and with being so broken aren't able to do much in the civilian world, so are basically screwed. I want to be as informed as possible to make sure that I get the best treatment that I can, and get the most benefit for my family. I'm not sure if it matters but I'm a SPC in the ARMY.

Thanks for any help or information!

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

For immediate assistance and from a procedural viewpoint at this point to aide with building your potentially forthcoming DoD IDES knowledgebase, the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process is explained in detail as follows:

After referral into the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process by your military PCM who initiated a permanent physical profile with PULHES of 3 or 4 in any one category, the Military Treatment Facility (MTF) who has approval authority for DoD IDES MEB referrals shall review the originally PCM-initiated permanent physical profile request.

Upon acceptance into the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process, during the MEB Phase is when all of your medical conditions are reviewed to determine which are "medically unacceptable" or "medically acceptable" conditions. The MTF will assign a PEBLO to develop the MEB case file for the MEB phase of the DoD IDES process.

To that extent, the MEB Physician is supposed to review all applicable medical condition(s) associated with a PULHES category of 3 or 4 in the AHLTA EMR database system, and then make an informed objective medical evidence determination to either maintain, down select, or upgrade the specific category code in the PULHES.

Upon approval by the DoD IDES MEB Physician(s) at the MTF of the PCM-initiated permanent physical profile referral, the MEB Physician shall either generate a new permanent physical profile with updated PULHES (most favorable course of action in my opinion) or transpose the PCM-initiated permanent physical profile with PULHES as written (least favorable course of action in my opinion).

In continuation of the DoD IDES MEB process, a Narrative Summary (NARSUM) is dictated after receipt of the DoVA C&P Examination results which outlines in detail all medically unacceptable and medically acceptable conditions.

It's unknown what type of C&P Exam clinician you will get on the day(s) of the evaluation. In my opinion, some DoVA C&P Examination clinicians are good-to-go while others seem not to care about the military service member.

With that said, you may receive good or bad results from either of the aforementioned type of DoVA C&P Exam clinicians; there are no guarantees. Depending on the type of C&P Exam, the clinician will just ask a lot of questions and/or perform a physical evaluation.

If the MEB determines that medically unacceptable conditions exist, then the IDES case file is forward to the PEB for a fit for duty or unfit for duty determination. The MEB phase has an officially published DoD timeline of 100 calendar days for Active Component (AC) military personnel and 140 calendar days for Reserve Component (RC) military personnel.

If the PEB determines any unfit medical conditions, then the IDES case file is forward to the DoVA D-RAS for ratings of all PEB referred unfitting conditions (e.g., DoD disability rating(s)) and all DoVA claimed conditions. It's important to note that DoD must adopt the DoVA D-RAS rating(s) for each PEB-referred unfitting condition(s).

Upon receipt of the IPEB findings inclusive of DoD and DoVA proposed ratings, the DA Form 199 (or similar Service specific document) is generated. The PEBLO has a three day maximum limit to inform you of the IPEB findings and your election options once he/she received your IPEB fitness determination and disability ratings. The PEB phase has an officially published DoD timeline of 120 calendar days for both AC and RC military personnel, but current timelines are well extended due to the backlog of DoVA disability claims.

From an U.S. Army perspective, when the military service member is found unfit by the PEB and the DA Form 199 (or similar Service specific document) is finally signed [e.g. after completion of all appeals and reviews to include an one-time VA Rating Reconsideration (VARR) request, if warranted], the U.S. Army Physical Disability Agency (USAPDA), U.S. Army Human Resources Command (USAHRC) will transmit via the Transition Point Processing System (TRANSPOC) III or message to those installations without TRANSPOC, the required data to complete the military orders process.

As such, TRANSPOC-III performs transition processing functions in which it generates the DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release from Active Duty or Discharge) document, and schedules the generation of retirement/separation orders from the U.S. Military. Once received, the installation’s transition center or other personnel support facility will publish the discharge, refrad, or retirement order in a timely manner.

Moreover from an U.S. Army perspective, the USAPDA will assign a not later than separation date that will not exceed 90-days after the completion of processing final determination by the USAPDA. The Installation Commander, through the transition center, will establish a separation date within the 90-day window. The not to exceed 90-day window allow installations flexibility to assign a separation date within the 90-day window based on individual military service member circumstances, but should not be construed as an opportunity to delay the departure of a military service member from active duty.

Generally, the separation date should factor in the total number of days required to clear the command, authorize permissive temporary duty (PTDY) for eligible active component military service members, and allow for the use of accrued leave (e.g., transition leave).

In conclusion, the DoD officially published timeline for AC military personnel within the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process is 295 calendar days, and RC military personnel is 305 calendar days . But, it's potentially delayed beyond the aforementioned durations due to the continuing massive amounts of backlogged DoVA disability claims.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

I am at 90% with the VA and have not drilled with my unit since beginning my MEB board was begun. All of the exams have been completed and the reviewing officer found me "unfit" to serve for a variety of injuries. Question. I have not had to drill for several years now. I have just received a drill schedule from the unit administrator of my last unit. My question is this-due to my injuries can I be required to drill? I am in no shape physically-and have serious issues with PTSD and major depression.

I have a question. I hit 19 years in the Army on 28 Jan 17 and my company is doing a MEB on me for my back. What is the chances the MEB people will let me extend all the way until I hit my 20 year mark which is 31 Jan 18. I was told the MEB process could take 6 months to complete.

I have a question. I hit 19 years in the Army on 28 Jan 17 and my company is doing a MEB on me for my back. What is the chances the MEB people will let me extend all the way until I hit my 20 year mark which is 31 Jan 18. I was told the MEB process could take 6 months to complete.
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Indeed, your best option at this particular point in time is to try to delay officially being referred and accepted into the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process in my experienced opinion.

If you can't accomplish the aforementioned tactic then upon referral and acceptance into the DoD IDES process, try to invoke all of your DoD IDES appealing opportunities in order to potentially keeping the IDES active. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!