MEB & Promotion help please!

Tempest

Registered Member
I need answers quick please because my commander seems to be trying to get me to not promote due to my MEB. They went to my PEBLO to ask if they can use my MEB as a reason to not promote me. I wasn't able to go to ALS for medical reasons and we won't have a class until after my sew on date. I was informed yesterday that I will be losing my line number. I combed through several AFIs but I don't see any mention of an MEB being a reason not to give me a waiver in order to give me time to go to the next ALS class. They are moving quick with this situation so I would appreciate any help please.

I don't have any negative paperwork. My medical condition has not prevented me from doing my job and doing it well. My flight commander can vouch for me. I am in the Air Force. If you need more info to help me out. Please ask. Thank you in advance!

Tempest

Registered Member
Any replies? I just got news today that I won't be promoting because my condition makes me incompatible with the military (Depression). My MEB isn't even complete yet. Is there any way to get this promotion that I earned?

My_View

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Are you wanting to be found fit or are do you think you will be found unfit? If you are found unfit and medically retired and you are promotable then you should be promoted to next highest rank on your last day in service. At least that is how the Army does it. I was promoted to next rank when I was medically retired because I was on promotion list. Not sure about Air Force regulation regarding this type promotion. Shouldn't your command wait first and see if you are found fit? Have you spoken to your appointed counsel about your situation?

Tempest

Registered Member
I don't know if I want to be found fit or unfit yet. My official MEB just started and I just don't know which direction it will go in.

I did see "you may be retired in the regular or Reserve grade to which you had been selected and would have been promoted had it not been for the physical disability for which you are being retired." in 10 U.S.C.

If I do get to retire with the rank I earned, I won't get any back pay because I never actually wore the extra stripe so that is a bummer too.

My_View

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
"If I do get to retire with the rank I earned, I won't get any back pay because I never actually wore the extra stripe so that is a bummer too."

Yes, that is correct. Keep us posted on your situation.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">