MEB question.

RC MEB

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I finally started the MEB which was official on 11 May 2020, I have done all the briefs and they have all my medical records. And they are sending them to the MSC today. I also submitted my retirement on 11 April 2020. I will officially have 20 years on 17 July 2020. I am wanting to know if they will stop the MEB for me to retire or will the MEB still take place. I do not have retirement orders yet and it’s not been approved past my brigade.

I assume your are Reserve form your forum name? I don't know about the Reserves, but if you're AD. you may want to take the MEB over the retirement.

Depending on if your post and its VA regional Office are proficient in Benefits Deliver at Discharge (BDD), you might get you ratings and VA check dramatically sooner post separation then retiring and applying. Additionally unless you have a banging job lined up after retirement, the additional time in service while you MEB will just add you tor retirement and give you extra BAH. They don't round to the year anymore for calculating DoD retirement for AD, they round to the hundredth of % (i.e 50.13) based on month, days, weeks of AD. Also if COVID slows the process and your into next year, you may pick up a few extra months of AD Jan raise added into the High 3 (really high 36m) average.

If retirement is requested prior to an MEB being convened there is a presumption of fitness. It could be a quick process.

If retirement is requested prior to an MEB being convened there is a presumption of fitness. It could be a quick process.

At least currently for the Army, if your retirement is processed to the point that G1 approves your date, you are presumed fit as Chaplin mentioned. They will NOT let you start an MEB, or withdrawal your retirement.

So if you wish to change your mind and MEB, you need to action it by withdrawal your Retirement request -before- G1 approves your date.

At least currently for the Army, if your retirement is processed to the point that G1 approves your date, you are presumed fit as Chaplin mentioned. They will NOT let you start an MEB, or withdrawal your retirement.

So if you wish to change your mind and MEB, you need to action it by withdrawal your Retirement request -before- G1 approves your date.
I should have said request and approved. Thanks for the catch.

I am Active Duty, and my retirement has not made it past brigade yet. The MEB process has already started. I am waiting on the MSC to contact me to do my VA claims and schedule appointments with VA. I don’t think my Battalion will allow me to pull my retirement back Is there anything I can do to stop the retirement or is this something I just have to wait and see what happens? If they find me presumed fit can I disagree and ask for a relook?

S1 would be the place to start, and I'm pretty sure they can't "stop" you from pulling your retirement if you wish. If your BN isn't a help, might try BDE S1 directly.

I am Active Duty, and my retirement has not made it past brigade yet. The MEB process has already started. I am waiting on the MSC to contact me to do my VA claims and schedule appointments with VA. I don’t think my Battalion will allow me to pull my retirement back Is there anything I can do to stop the retirement or is this something I just have to wait and see what happens? If they find me presumed fit can I disagree and ask for a relook?
I am in the same position, i went to the S1 and pulled my packet.

S1 would be the place to start, and I'm pretty sure they can't "stop" you from pulling your retirement if you wish. If your BN isn't a help, might try BDE S1 directly.
That is a good point. I wonder what happens if they already cut the orders? That leads me to...one has to apply for retirement. That requires an approval. If the retirement has been approved and orders cut, I think "they" could refuse to cancel the process. Just thinking out loud.

Ron

If orders are cut they flat tell you "Presumption of Fitness for having an approved retirement" and the MEB gets cancelled or found fit depending on where in the process the case is. You cannot cancel once orders are cut as CharlieChaplin mentioned.

If orders are cut they flat tell you "Presumption of Fitness for having an approved retirement" and the MEB gets cancelled or found fit depending on where in the process the case is. You cannot cancel once orders are cut as CharlieChaplin mentioned.
I did not read the previous posts; thank you for the clarification and citing chaplaincharlie's remarks.

Ron

Update: So my Battalion commander had my request for Retirement pulled back from brigade. I have met with the MSC and filed my claim and the VA website states it’s Mad moved to the evidence finding stage and estimated completion date is June 5 2021 that’s kinda far out! Is that accurate?

Update: So my Battalion commander had my request for Retirement pulled back from brigade. I have met with the MSC and filed my claim and the VA website states it’s Mad moved to the evidence finding stage and estimated completion date is June 5 2021 that’s kinda far out! Is that accurate?
It’s an very rough estimate, that I don’t really rely on. it will change as you progress through the MEB. My status says April 2021 but when I check my MEB status via AKO it states I will finish the MEB December 2020.