MEB questions running out of time, ets date is approaching

I had hip impingement surgery done November 2017 and currently on con leave until my DOS of February 24, 2018. I asked my PCM about MEB in December 2017. I am being denied based off the time I have left. The pcm doesn’t want to put me in for med hold. They are kind of kicking me to curb and the thing is I’m my hip is still injured and i have to get surgery on other hip. I was told today my code was 31 and I needed 37. How true is this? And I am coded this based off an opinion. No one has contacted my off base surgeon yet. I am permanently disabled due to the fact i will have hip replacements in near future. What do I need to do to appeal this? And is there a way to expedite the process before my dos?

I had the same surgery done a few years back, and they gave me 6 months after to recover before they would even consider "fixing" the other side because the outcome is unknown. The MEB process cannot go forward in most cases if your condition is "unstable" as yours still is since you are within that window (which could be longer based on the surgeons opinion). You also won't know if the surgery made your condition better, the same, or worse for a little while. Unfortunately for you, it is unlikely that they would extend you for something like this and you will be forwarded to the VA for further treatment and ratings once you are "stable."

That’s the issue, I am currently disabled. My hip is being re-evaluated due to complications. Which puts me at rock and hard place when it comes to working once I’m out the military. I am unfit to work for awhile especially considering having the other hip done. And on top of it all I have an ankle problem as well. So I’m confused on why I’m still being rejected. My condition isn’t showing any signs of improvement; in fact the surgery was basically a bandaid for holding off hip replacements

You can try to talk to your patient advocate, but ultimately AFPC (if you are AF) gets to make the decision. I don't want you to get your hopes up, especially with such a short amount of time left.

A
I had hip impingement surgery done November 2017 and currently on con leave until my DOS of February 24, 2018. I asked my PCM about MEB in December 2017. I am being denied based off the time I have left. The pcm doesn’t want to put me in for med hold. They are kind of kicking me to curb and the thing is I’m my hip is still injured and i have to get surgery on other hip. I was told today my code was 31 and I needed 37. How true is this? And I am coded this based off an opinion. No one has contacted my off base surgeon yet. I am permanently disabled due to the fact i will have hip replacements in near future. What do I need to do to appeal this? And is there a way to expedite the process before my dos?
did the surgery just not go well, or the healing isn't going Well? I'm asking because I just had it done very recently, like I'm still on con leave. I just don't know what to expect from this. And it's confirmed that I have arthritis as well...

And how did you get all that con leave? They only gave me 30 days

A
did the surgery just not go well, or the healing isn't going Well? I'm asking because I just had it done very recently, like I'm still on con leave. I just don't know what to expect from this. And it's confirmed that I have arthritis as well...

I’m still on con leave as well, and not for my case it did not go well. I didn’t have physical therapy at all yet. I’ve had the surgery November 28th. And I am still on crutches. Hope it goes well for you! I will be seeing my second options tomorrow, hoping I don’t need hip replacement.

And how did you get all that con leave? They only gave me 30 days

Have your doctor write you orders to be off longer. I’m Air Force security forces so I was granted 3 months due to my job. Guess it depends on your job too.

Have your doctor write you orders to be off longer. I’m Air Force security forces so I was granted 3 months due to my job. Guess it depends on your job too.
I also have a very demanding job. I'm AF as well and had mine done by an ADAF surgeon. They are only authorized to do 30 days. But I will come back doing admin duty until I'm done with therapy, so I guess I'll take that!

You need to have them initiate the MEB. At the very least, on your separation physical, make sure they know you should be retained for MEB evaluation. If forced out, you file with BCMR or federal court. Also, your command can initiate the MEB.

Recently, I represented someone in a similar situation. We were able to have the MEB recommended and approved despite recovery from surgery. You need someone, whether that is your command, patient advocate, JAG, etc. advocating for you.

Be the squeaky wheel at this point.

Pittpan's advice is solid so listen to him.

I only got 30 days con lv when I had mine, with 6 weeks of toe touch on crutches. I believe I started Physical Therapy around 2 weeks post op. It really depends on the surgeon but 30 days seems to be the extent of con lv without complications. Most of us can do some kind of admin work even while on crutches.

Even though I was/am being MEB'd, it was NOT for the hip issue or the failure to fix it. The local MEB and AFPC did not make that a "referred" condition. I did get it rated by the VA though.

You need to have them initiate the MEB. At the very least, on your separation physical, make sure they know you should be retained for MEB evaluation. If forced out, you file with BCMR or federal court. Also, your command can initiate the MEB.

Recently, I represented someone in a similar situation. We were able to have the MEB recommended and approved despite recovery from surgery. You need someone, whether that is your command, patient advocate, JAG, etc. advocating for you.

Be the squeaky wheel at this point.
Thank you, I am trying every avenue of approach. I just don’t want to separate without proper medical benefits from these life long injuries I have. And I just got an update from my doctor yesterday and it confirmed I’m going to have bilateral hip replacements