UC123

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello,

I just received word today about my MEB starting. I was disqualified for continued military service during the IRILO stage. I was given an LOD for my Ulcerative Colitis and Major Depressive Disorder while on active duty orders (I'm a Reservist). I am currently taking Remicade (for my colitis) and another medication for my depression. Does anyone know what rating I might receive from the AF/VA under these conditions? I've seen that Remicade usually warrants a 60% rating, but I'm not entirely sure if that's correct.

I'd appreciate any clarification!

Be very honest with your self diagnosis, you need to see the diagnosis through the eyes of a third party as you would describe them to someone else.

7323 Colitis, ulcerative:
Pronounced; resulting in marked malnutrition, anemia, and general
debility, or with serious complication as liver abscess............................................ 100

Severe; with numerous attacks a year and malnutrition, the health
only fair during remissions................................................................................... 60

Moderately severe; with frequent exacerbations..................................................... 30

Moderate; with infrequent exacerbations............................................................... 10

The entitlement for MH is to exhaustive to copy paste, but you need to check off boxes of each rating with your symptoms, then take an average and assume your ratings, for example you have 1 symptom in the 70%, many in the 50% range and a few in the 30% range, with no 100% or 0% ratings, then a case would be made 50% leaning towards possible 30% or 70% if those symptoms are sever enough to warrant placement in the upper or lower ratings.
Military Disability Ratings for Mental Disorders <=== Click link for MH ratings

Either you can share your symptoms and members here can GUESS based on their experience with similar ratings, or you need to make a realistic self guess.... but no one knows for sure outside of you, your examiner and your rater.

Personally, I was rated 30% for IBS/Ulcerative Colitis due to:
Moderately sever symptoms with frequent bouts of diarrhea, pain, bloating and waking from sleep during events.

For MH I was rated at 50% based on :

Abilty to work: This individual may try to work, but will not be able to hold a job for more than 3 or 4 months because of their inability to remember or follow all directions or other similar reasons based on the symptoms or circumstances described under this rating. (50%)

Social Relationships: Like his ability to work, this individual will normally have fairly stable relationships. These relationships, however, will not be great and will often be strained by the symptoms of his condition. (30%)

Medications: This individual requires psychiatric medication at all times. (50%, 70% ,100%)

Symptoms: Some or all of the following symptoms will be present.
(70%)
– Mood often changes radically, without warning.
(50%)
– Trouble expressing or showing emotions
– Always shows significant signs of anxiety
– Regularly gives unnecessary or unrelated details when communicating
– Trouble remembering things (forgetting to complete tasks, etc.)
– A serious lack of, or a seriously increased, mood or motivation
(30%)
– Spikes or drops in mood, like depression
– Often anxious or becomes easily stressed
– Panic attacks occur, but no more than once a week
– Difficulty sleeping
– Mild memory loss could include regularly forgetting names or directions

From my personal example work was a 50%, Relations was a 30% and medications warranted higher ratings than 30%. Then my symptoms include a 70% and many 50% and 30% symptoms. The explanation by the VA to award a 50% was : While member shows a tendency towards a higher rating, the majority of major symptoms lie in the 50% range while lacking most symptoms validating 70% award. A 50% rating is proposed.

I've been on Entyvio about 6 months and still have not achieved full remission from a flare that started in May of 2019; rated at 30%. Like heathro1281 said, it really depends on how a third party interprets your symptoms.