MEB Vs Seperation:

SSGTWELVEBRAVO

Registered Member
How are you all doing today? I would first like to thank anyone who reads/responds to this. This site has helped me with so many questions with my MEB, but now I have one I need to post/receive advice about. I will give a brief summary of myself:

I am a Staff Sergeant with 12yrs of service, about to hit my 13th year. I was diagnosed with PTSD/TBI in 2010, but only just now has it really started to effect me. I started my MEB about two weeks ago, meeting my PEBLO and everything... now waiting to meet VA to start the claims process. I have deployed 3 times (Iraq/Afghanistan, Afghanistan, Kuwait/Iraq). I have quite a few other medical/physical issues as well, but my MEB was started because of my BH problems. I have never gotten an Article 15, or had any form of negative action against me. Until this past year and a half, were with all the medical issues I've been dealing with I have failed HT/WT. I failed first back in December 2017, then busted my butt to get off that flag because at the time MEB wasn't even mentioned/thought about. I got reflagged two weeks for failing again. Now I know that Army Reg. states that if a SM fails twice within a 12 month period then they are subject to separation, which would be an Honorable.

So, here is where the issue is for me. My 1SG is pushing for me to complete the Separation packet so it can, as he says, "run side by side with the MEB", and that the BDE CDR will be the one to dictate which path I am released on. Rather separation or MEB. I have read everywhere, read the reg's, and even had my BH Provider show me numerous documents that states that this isn't true. That because it would be an administrative separation, that the MEB takes precedence period. I have briefed my 1SG on this but he doesn't seem to care/want to listen and is still continuing to complete the separation packet. His understanding that the BDE CDR gets to decide my fate is also very frustrating.

Now, I would understand if they were trying to complete the packet with the possibility that the MEB could determine me still fit and return to duty, but that is not what is happening. The worse part is that my CDR seems to be tracking that the MEB is priority and even to the point that he has approved me going to WTU (just waiting on my packet to get approved), but it seems like him and my 1SG are not linking up with each other to understand what is going on. I already feel like I know the answer/solution to this problem, I think I chose to post here to just vent a little bit about what is going on. I have already talked to my BH Provider and he has assured me that in no way can they push for a separation while I am enrolled in the MEB/PEB system. Thank you again to anyone taking the time to read this, I just wanted to see if anyone else had dealt with issues like this from their Unit during the MEB process. I feel so ashamed sometimes, because I have done a lot in my career and his Unit happened to get me while I was dealing with all my personal issues/starting the MEB process and I feel like I get looked at like "that guy".

This is something you need to run by your PEBLO ASAP do it now your 1SG is technically not wrong but this is most common when its related to misconduct, not PT failure. Nevertheless, I have seen many 1SG's who are neurotic if not overzealous on chaptering PT and HT/WT failures racing to complete it sometimes a month or two before the SM's ETS date. You do have some protections from command bullying while in a MEB but your PEBLO is in a better position to deal with your command on it.

I thought as much and contacted my PEBLO. He cleared the air with my CO/1SG, so while I obviously have to continue in the ABCP program until HT/WT is good, they have stopped the attempts at separation. Thank you for the advice!

Glad it worked out.