MEB

COLTONMD

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Going thru; MEB for several medical issues.

Have one more appointment; orthopedic.

My liaison (LTC) stated I could deny this appointment based on the how long it takes to get an appointment. However it would be rated as (0) based on my MOS (FIT). But it would be put on my NARSUM.

The end result; I presume if treated correctly my other conditions will be rated UNFIT and hopefully I will be given a fair shake.

I have LODs for my wrist/leg and have doctors notes etc.

Ques: Based on this; will this affect my PEB? Can I go to the VA with the orthopedic issues later?

Is this a bad move?

3/4 months; educated guess. In addition, Cmdrs statement will have to redone etc.

As you stated you won't get a rating from DOD, however, you will probably receive a rating from the VA for the conditions. Also you are concerned with receiving care through the VA for the conditions. If the VA deems your wrist/leg issue or any other issue is worthy of rating and "service connected" status, then you will be covered by the VA regarding that condition. Also you would be qualified for travel reimbursement when going to the VA for any "service connected" disability.

In other words if you decide not to put it in MEB you are probably looking at less VA compensation when you get out. You can file a claim with the VA at any time in the future after separated, but then you are looking at probably another 8-12 months before they decide on the claim. Just make sure to make copies of everything... MEB proceedings, PEB findings, VA findings, and ALL medical records.

Would it be difficult for you to get another commanders letter to your liking? Personally, I don't like the idea of a condition being left out of MEB packet. I have the attitude of: Let the PEB decide what they are going to do with a condition because ultimately only they have the authority to classify a condition ''fit/unfit".

Thanks for your timely response.

Sorry can you explain why this would be?
In other words if you decide not to put it in MEB you are probably looking at less VA compensation when you get out.

Thanks

Semper FI

You said, "I have LODs for my wrist/leg and have doctors notes etc". So if it is a documented condition(s) that effects negatively, even in a small way, then I can't help but think the VA will rate it. Remember the VA can assign ratings to all conditions not only to "unfitting" ones. This is different than what the what the military will rate, as they only rate unfitting conditions. VA and DOD (military) are two separate entities.

Do what you want to. There is no guarantee that the VA will rate it either. I'm sure that your liaison knows what he is talking about but there is no way he can absolutely say that the PEB won't rate a certain condition.