Med board changed again from anxiety disorder to MDD but in therapy for PTSD

Bustednotbroken

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Arrived to wtu for ptsd told I'll have some time to work on therapy and get surgeries that brought me to wtu.

Couple weeks later med board referral submitted for Anxiety disorder told surgery will probably be post poned. Talked with wtu command and meb was pulled. Got one surgery.

Now put in for meb for major depressive disorder. Told 2nd surgery may be post poned.

I've been getting therapy for ptsd and told I will have to go for a MEB but they are going to let me get my surgeries first.

How does my meb referral go from anxiety then pulled. Then meb 2 months later for mdd.

Told by pysch doc don't get wrapped around the axle about the diagnosis but isn't it going to effect my combat tax exempt disability if I'm not referred for the ptsd I've been treated for and on profile for the last year.Those diagnoses aren't even what I'm getting therapy for. Feeling like I'm just getting pushed out the door and my family and I will have to figure how to deal with my ptsd on my own. It's just doesn't pass the common sense test to me feel like I'm getting screwed over any advice is appreciated. Think this is just a force reduction tool. Been inpatient for ptsd and really trying to get my life together seems like this is just a whole nother problem I don't need to deal with just want to get the help I need and prefer to RTD but it seems they are focused on putting me out. Need some advice got 15yrs in and if I got to go I don't want my family and I to get screwed over.

From a VA ratings perspective, the money is the same. From a treatment perspective a correct diagnosis is often crucial. But lots of folks with PTSD also exhibit signs of depression and other anxieties. You seam to be aware that you have a MH problem, so thinking its a "force reduction tool" works against you. Your family is very important, so you may want to focus on treatment.

My AW2 advocate told me the combat tax free is concern so I figured I'd ask to confirm.To me it's not about the money it's about getting better for my family. Guess it came across the wrong way. Just want to make sure I'm getting treated fair and not getting screwed over by a numbers game and forced to go thru a meb for a symptom of my ptsd and then trie to get therapy thru the va for the therapy ive been working on if my diagnosis isnt correct.Hard to focus on therapy when the doc putting you in for the medboard isn't telling you what aspect of the PTSD meaning anxiety or depression I need to work on since apparently that is what need to work on just find it confusing how it changed from anxiety to depression and my therapist is saying not sure why its for that because your treatment is for ptsd. Maybe its part of my trust paranioa problem i got.Thanks for the input

Last edited:
It sounds like your surgeries are causing some issues with the MEB process. Other than emergencies, you generally can't have surgeries performed once the process starts. That's just one idea of why things may seem confusing right now.

It sounds like your surgeries are causing some issues with the MEB process. Other than emergencies, you generally can't have surgeries performed once the process starts. That's just one idea of why things may seem confusing right now.
Yes your probably right just wanted to make sure I'm getting my medical stuff worked on and not being pushed out for something that isn't correct

While you are in treatment, often the diagnosis has to change. It is important to accept the fact that insurance companies are reimbursing the medical treatment facilities that are providing care.

Lets say you are given a diagnosis of PTSD, and 15 weekly sessions are submitted for approval to the insurance company to provide a treatment that consists of EDMR, talk therapy and a course of medication(s). Treatment goals are set, however at the end of the 15 weeks, the goals have not been met. The insurance is not going to continue to pay for treatment that does not appear to be effective, therefore new goals need to be set. The provider takes a look at your symptoms, uses some known scales and instruments and adds a new diagnosis to submit to the insurance company. 15 more sessions are approved and you see the provider for four more months. Wash, rinse repeat.