Med Hold Orders instead of Incap Pay

Selfless Service

Registered Member
I broke right, dominant wrist during organized PT while on MPA orders at an AFB. I immediately presented for treatment at the base clinic. After a severe radial fracture was identified, I was referred to a local orthopedist the following week for casting. I returned home three days later when my orders expired. In approximately three weeks, during a follow up at my home base MTF, the Orthopedic Surgeon determined that the wrist was not healing in the right direction and emergency surgery was necessary. Surgeon put me on convalescent leave from 3 weeks, and unit said (VOCO) it would support med hold orders. The RMG said that a Safety Mishap Report and completed LOD would need to be done before orders can be cut. I missed three weeks of work and still haven’t received orders. Now the RMG is saying (three months after the surgery) that I cannot get orders, and can only apply for incapacitation pay. Am I out of luck getting the orders?

I broke right, dominant wrist during organized PT while on MPA orders at an AFB. I immediately presented for treatment at the base clinic. After a severe radial fracture was identified, I was referred to a local orthopedist the following week for casting. I returned home three days later when my orders expired. In approximately three weeks, during a follow up at my home base MTF, the Orthopedic Surgeon determined that the wrist was not healing in the right direction and emergency surgery was necessary. Surgeon put me on convalescent leave from 3 weeks, and unit said (VOCO) it would support med hold orders. The RMG said that a Safety Mishap Report and completed LOD would need to be done before orders can be cut. I missed three weeks of work and still haven’t received orders. Now the RMG is saying (three months after the surgery) that I cannot get orders, and can only apply for incapacitation pay. Am I out of luck getting the orders?

I would like to say no that you are not out of luck for receiving the orders but I would like to know a few things first.

1. What was the duration of the orders you were on when you were initially injured?
2. What type of orders? Title 32, or Title 10

You’re welcome. I am afraid that they may not allow you to have the MEDCON orders based on the fact that you were only on orders for 20 days. You will get an LOD that will allow treatment of the LOD condition in a Military Treatment Facility (MTF) and be eligible for INCAP pay. I am sorry for the potential bad news but I have been through something very similar to your situation and if you have any more questions just ask in this thread or send me a PM.

Don't see any reason why the Air Force SG wouldn't go ahead and bless off on the orders, albeit late. With all my years of IG experience, this is a sitaution ripe for a substantiated complaint for failure to act by the RMG. You should consider the IG route.