Medboard for PTSD

bandaid121

Registered Member
Hello everyone,

I've been avoiding writing this post for some time now but feel that I need some feedback to at this point. I am currently serving in the US Army as a pilot and was permanently grounded for a dissociative related episode after a PTSD treatment session about a half a year ago. I deployed to Afghanistan as a medic and saw some horrific things back in 2011 and voiced some of my symptoms; nightmares, anxiety, and numbness to a doctor during reverse SRP. Over time, things got better which is how I passed my flight physical. Fast forward, I was visiting a friend in Hawaii during the ballistic missile scare in Jan 2018 and things went south really quick. I was experiencing my nightmares again and I wasn't sleeping, I said something to the doc about it hoping to get prescribed some sleep aids. That's how I ended up in BH and things went from bad to worse. At the time, I voiced to the doctors that I regretted getting help and I'd rather medboard out of the Army if I couldn't fly anymore. I just received a copy of my medical records and these doctors spun my statement a bit out of context and stated: "I'm seeking to medboard out of the Army instead of pursuing my flight up slip." I've never felt so betrayed in my life. I'm waiting for my VA appointments as part of my medboard process and my question is this. Is it likely for the statement, "I'm seeking to medboard out of the Army instead of pursuing my flight up slip," to be used against me in any way shape or form during this process? Any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Warrior644

Staff Member
PEB Forum Lifetime Supporter
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello everyone,

I've been avoiding writing this post for some time now but feel that I need some feedback to at this point. I am currently serving in the US Army as a pilot and was permanently grounded for a dissociative related episode after a PTSD treatment session about a half a year ago. I deployed to Afghanistan as a medic and saw some horrific things back in 2011 and voiced some of my symptoms; nightmares, anxiety, and numbness to a doctor during reverse SRP. Over time, things got better which is how I passed my flight physical. Fast forward, I was visiting a friend in Hawaii during the ballistic missile scare in Jan 2018 and things went south really quick. I was experiencing my nightmares again and I wasn't sleeping, I said something to the doc about it hoping to get prescribed some sleep aids. That's how I ended up in BH and things went from bad to worse. At the time, I voiced to the doctors that I regretted getting help and I'd rather medboard out of the Army if I couldn't fly anymore. I just received a copy of my medical records and these doctors spun my statement a bit out of context and stated: "I'm seeking to medboard out of the Army instead of pursuing my flight up slip." I've never felt so betrayed in my life. I'm waiting for my VA appointments as part of my medboard process and my question is this. Is it likely for the statement, "I'm seeking to medboard out of the Army instead of pursuing my flight up slip," to be used against me in any way shape or form during this process? Any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Indeed, it's disheartening to read about your current medical situation albeit its very pleasing to read that you sought help; that's to be commended for sure!

Well, it's truly unknown if that specific statement by your doctor(s) shall have any potential negative effect while in the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process at this point in time. As such, each medical professional can interpret the aforementioned statement differently as based upon the entirety of information within your medical records; it's very subjective nonetheless.

In my experienced opinion, I would highly suggest that you concentrate on talking about your symptomology from PTSD to the medical providers; that's the important information needed for the DoVA D-RAS to determine any potential disability rating for PTSD in accordance with 38 CFR VASRD. I have had medical providers write erroneous statements on my MEB & PEB documentation while in the IDES process albeit I made sure to voice my disagreement via the IDES MEB/PEB appeals process. That said, I would highly suggest that you do the same while in the IDES process if warranted at any given point in time. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

bandaid121

Registered Member

Indeed, it's disheartening to read about your current medical situation albeit its very pleasing to read that you sought help; that's to be commended for sure!

Well, it's truly unknown if that specific statement by your doctor(s) shall have any potential negative effect while in the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process at this point in time. As such, each medical professional can interpret the aforementioned statement differently as based upon the entirety of information within your medical records; it's very subjective nonetheless.

In my experienced opinion, I would highly suggest that you concentrate on talking about your symptomology from PTSD to the medical providers; that's the important information needed for the DoVA D-RAS to determine any potential disability rating for PTSD in accordance with 38 CFR VASRD. I have had medical providers write erroneous statements on my MEB & PEB documentation while in the IDES process albeit I made sure to voice my disagreement via the IDES MEB/PEB appeals process. That said, I would highly suggest that you do the same while in the IDES process if warranted at any given point in time. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Best Wishes!
Thank you for that. I'll update as I go along through this amazing process.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">