Medboard questions

So exactly i do still get the entire 2,524.83. But it will just come from the VA (1,998.92) and then the leftover will be what is left of DOD which is 525.91. But it will still come out in total as 2,524.83? Correct?

So exactly i do still get the entire 2,524.83. But it will just come from the VA (1,998.92) and then the leftover will be what is left of DOD which is 525.91. But it will still come out in total as 2,524.83? Correct?
"Exactly":
Your DoD disability retired pay will be reduced by the amount of your VA compensation. You get to keep the residual retired pay (i.e., amount left over).
2524.83 minus 1998.92 = 525.91 residual retired pay

You will also receive all your VA compensation. = 1998.92 VA comp

End result:
--DFAS = residual retired pay 525.91 paid each month by DFAS
--VA = full VA compensation 1998.92 paid each month by the VA

525.91 + 1998.92 = 2524.83 total paid each month

Ron

"Exactly":
Your DoD disability retired pay will be reduced by the amount of your VA compensation. You get to keep the residual retired pay (i.e., amount left over).
2524.83 minus 1998.92 = 525.91 residual retired pay

You will also receive all your VA compensation. = 1998.92 VA comp

End result:
--DFAS = residual retired pay 525.91 paid each month by DFAS
--VA = full VA compensation 1998.92 paid each month by the VA

525.91 + 1998.92 = 2524.83 total paid each month

Ron
Ok thank you so much! Yeah someone was telling me the wrong information.

Ok thank you so much! Yeah someone was telling me the wrong information.
Yes, that someone probably told you that if you received VA compensation you would not receive any retired pay (I.e., the residual).

On the other hand, many CH 61 retirees do not have any residual remaining.

Ron

Sir,

Now, that i have picked up E-6, i am having all sorts of doubts and fear. I will be in my 15 years this coming December and now i am trying to see if I should keep going and just finish until retirement or either just go through this TDRL route. Just because from the perception that I've got, it's not really secure pension/retirement. I do feel like my symptoms is not going to get better or would probably get worse but if i could push through maybe it will be the better option. What do you think? To be honest, i am done but at the same time am too close to be not able to get my retirement. What is your take on this? Thank you.

Respectfully,

RJ

Sir,

Now, that i have picked up E-6, i am having all sorts of doubts and fear. I will be in my 15 years this coming December and now i am trying to see if I should keep going and just finish until retirement or either just go through this TDRL route. Just because from the perception that I've got, it's not really secure pension/retirement. I do feel like my symptoms is not going to get better or would probably get worse but if i could push through maybe it will be the better option. What do you think? To be honest, i am done but at the same time am too close to be not able to get my retirement. What is your take on this? Thank you.

Respectfully,

RJ
Normally its not up to the Soldier. Medical are the ones who determine if you are unfit for duty or not. If you get put into IDES the key is to know the symptoms for your condition that correlate to the VA disability percentage. If you have those symptoms then you need to ensure they are properly communicated. The worst scenario is trying to minimize symptoms hoping to stay in. When that happens you inevitably get a ratings lower than you deserve. That's how many soldiers end up getting severance instead of a medical retirement.

Normally its not up to the Soldier. Medical are the ones who determine if you are unfit for duty or not. If you get put into IDES the key is to know the symptoms for your condition that correlate to the VA disability percentage. If you have those symptoms then you need to ensure they are properly communicated. The worst scenario is trying to minimize symptoms hoping to stay in. When that happens you inevitably get a ratings lower than you deserve. That's how many soldiers end up getting severance instead of a medical retirement.
someone told me if you really want to fight the unfitting results that they will find a way to keep you. At least in the Navy. They said you can fight it that result.

someone told me if you really want to fight the unfitting results that they will find a way to keep you. At least in the Navy. They said you can fight it that result.
The Navy definitely leans more towards "fit" more compared to other branches. The trade off is that its a very risky deal to minimize your symptoms. If you are found unfit you may get severance instead of pension because you were trying to show that you were fit. To me that's a risk not worth taking. If you get rated properly and they find you fit there isn't a downside. The strategy to try to be found fit is fraught with risk!

The Navy definitely leans more towards "fit" more compared to other branches. The trade off is that its a very risky deal to minimize your symptoms. If you are found unfit you may get severance instead of pension because you were trying to show that you were fit. To me that's a risk not worth taking. If you get rated properly and they find you fit there isn't a downside. The strategy to try to be found fit is fraught with risk!
what if you appeal the finding and try get found for fit, continue your 20 years, and then get both pension and then VA disability percent?

Its fine to appeal. You need to to make sure during the C&P exams that you are honest and make sure your VA rating is correct. That's the rating the Navy will give your if they find the condition unfitting. The FPEB can't change a rating for a condition. They can only say fit or unfit for a condition or change from TDRL to PDRL and a host of other things.

Its fine to appeal. You need to to make sure during the C&P exams that you are honest and make sure your VA rating is correct. That's the rating the Navy will give your if they find the condition unfitting. The FPEB can't change a rating for a condition. They can only say fit or unfit for a condition or change from TDRL to PDRL and a host of other things.
Thank you so much for everything sir! Would it be possible to contact you via phone or something? Thank you.

Sir, i have a question. How do you ensure that you’re rating will be the same during TDRL to make it to PDRL?

Sir, i have a question. How do you ensure that you’re rating will be the same during TDRL to make it to PDRL?
Keep everything the same. Its hard to justify any rating changes if there are none. Your goal is to keep everything the same to include meds so that you can show the condition is stable. That way you can hopefully get it changed from TDRL to PDRL sooner.