Taco213123

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I served 5 years active duty at ft hood and did two tours to Afghanistan. I have been blown up and have a blown disc (been issued a back brace and medication) have very bad PTSD and have panic attack multiple times a week.been diagnosed with a serious depression and anxiety. I switch to the guard and was recommended for medical discharge

I currently rated by the va 60 percent
50 for ptsd and 10 for back 10 for tinnitus

Does anyone know how long the process takes and how retirement points work
I have 3789 points
Do I qualify for cdrc
Any information about this or links are greatly appreciated

gsfowler

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
3789 points equals 10.525 years.

If the NG submits you for a MEB and you're found unfit by the PEB, one of two scenarios can happen.

1.) You are rated 0-10 or 20% for your unfit referred condition(s) you will receive a one time lump severance pay
2.) If you are rated 30% or greater you will be medically retired.

There is no such thing as CDRC. There is CRDP (you will not qualify for) and CRSC (you must apply for and be granted by your branch of service).

Taco213123

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Thank you and how do I go about getting approved by the army for crsc

Would the va rating of 60 percent be the same

gsfowler

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran

No, the current VA rating may not apply to your MEB/PEB from the NG. It will all depend on what conditions you are referred for and found unfit for. The VA rates you for all conditions that occurred and/or were aggravated while your were entitled to active duty pay.

The NG will refer you to a MEB for all conditions that fail to meet retention standards per AR 40-501.

TOT31

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If PTSD is found to be one of your your unfitting conditions and is what is referred for PEB than you will be placed on TDRL at a minimum for a minimum of 6 months at a rating of no less than 50% and will be eligible for CRSC while in that status. If you have a purple heart, CIB, CAB or combat award for valor, the army crsc board will grant you crsc but you must specifically state on your crsc app in your own words that at least one specific direct combat scenario that is written into any narrative for an award or scenario caused your PTSD. The army is getting better about common sense with crsc claims but don't give them any slack when drawing a clear and concise justification for awarding you crsc

Taco213123

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
If PTSD is found to be one of your your unfitting conditions and is what is referred for PEB than you will be placed on TDRL at a minimum for a minimum of 6 months at a rating of no less than 50% and will be eligible for CRSC while in that status. If you have a purple heart, CIB, CAB or combat award for valor, the army crsc board will grant you crsc but you must specifically state on your crsc app in your own words that at least one specific direct combat scenario that is written into any narrative for an award or scenario caused your PTSD. The army is getting better about common sense with crsc claims but don't give them any slack when drawing a clear and concise justification for awarding you crsc
I do have a cab for being blown up and firefights

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I do have a cab for being blown up and firefights
gsfowler provided the Army CRSC link earlier in this thread. A collection of CRSC material, including combat related examples,
is on this board at this link: Supplement to CRSC Information. <——

DFAS:
Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) is a program that was created for disability and non-disability military retirees with combat-related disabilities. It is a tax free entitlement that you will be paid each month along with any retired pay you may already be receiving. [Note: CRSC replaces some or all waived retired pay.]
Eligibility
To qualify for CRSC you must:

• be entitled to and/or receiving military retired pay
  • be rated at least 10 percent by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA)
  • waive your VA pay from your retired pay
  • file a CRSC application with your Branch of Service
Disabilities that may be considered combat related include injuries incurred as a direct result of:

• Armed Conflict
  • Hazardous Duty
  • An Instrumentality of War
  • Simulated War
Ron

TOT31

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
The med board process usually takes between 4 to 6 months with no appeals. That's not a set timeline because I seen a few done in less than 90 days and a few drag on longer than 6 months. Just don't give up your right to appeal if you think you were improperly boarded and given low ratings. Appeals can drag on another 4 to 6 months. Gs Fowler is excellent at explaining how to draw a Nexus between PTSD and crsc qualification so read all his posts on the matter. I do advocacy work for veterans and already have a successful format that results in success with crsc and I would be willing to assist you free of charge if and when the time to apply comes but wounded warriors does a good job too

Taco213123

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
The med board process usually takes between 4 to 6 months with no appeals. That's not a set timeline because I seen a few done in less than 90 days and a few drag on longer than 6 months. Just don't give up your right to appeal if you think you were improperly boarded and given low ratings. Appeals can drag on another 4 to 6 months. Gs Fowler is excellent at explaining how to draw a Nexus between PTSD and crsc qualification so read all his posts on the matter. I do advocacy work for veterans and already have a successful format that results in success with crsc and I would be willing to assist you free of charge if and when the time to apply comes but wounded warriors does a good job too
I’ll be messaging you when I get final verdict and all I appreciate all your knowledge and link thank you all so much

SFCChux01

Registered Member
Long time lurker first time posting. I have a feeling I'm going to be submitted for a MED board this year soon because of new VA rating. I'm a bit confused on the pay portion though and was told different things by all the self-proclaimed experts. My current situation is: 28 years for pay (13 Active, 1 NG, 14 USAR), 5612 retirement points, 60% VA rated (w/respiratory illness due to Hazardous Duty), and a Twenty Year Letter dated 2011.

So, I am not too sure what happens from here except if Medically Retired I will get Tricare right away instead at age 59.5 if I retired that way. Now, I was told different things about the pay one was I would get VA, Retirement, and Tricare and the other was just Retirement, Tricare.

Thank in advance.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
SFCChux01,

I infer that you are a reservist who has qualified for reserve retirement at approximately age 60. That comment is based on your remark about having a 20-year letter.

If you received a medical retirement before reaching age ~60, your retired pay would be:

--Average of highest 36 months of base pay (high three) x
  • 2.5 percent for each year of [active duty] service,
  • or
  • disability percentage assigned by the service at the time you retire
--Your gross retired pay would be reduced by the amount of your VA compensation.
--You would not be eligible for CRDP which restores the longevity portion of the retired pay lost/waived until you reach the reserve retirement age.

Some might tell you that you have a choice between retired pay and VA compensation. That is not the way it works. If your choose VA compensation (as most retirees do), your retired pay is reduced as I explained above. In some cases, not all the retired pay is lost/waived. You must receive VA comp in order to receive CRDP, although you will have to wait until you meet the age requirement for reserve retirement to receive it.

I can see no good reason to decline VA compensation.

CRSC might be an option and you would not have to wait for the age factor. https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crsc.html <---CRSC LINK

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">