Medical lost my initial medical eval

clsoar

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I got a call today from the VA saying they can't find my DD 2351 in my medical file. It is the initial medical evaluation that they use to determine what my medical state was when I entered service. It seems like at some point medical "misplaced" it when they were going from paper to electronic. What do I do? Am I thoroughly screwed? When I was 18 and fresh out of high school, I didn't know the Air Force and especially the medical field was so completely unreliable, so I obviously didn't request a copy to keep myself way back then.

When did you enlist in the Air force? If you have you initial packet from enlistment it might be in there. Maybe if it was not to long ago try to contact the recruiter office you used they might be able to help you or even the MEPS station I don't know how long they keep records for. I hope this helps out some.

My initial medical was 12 years ago. I found the info for the doctor that did the initial exam (DoDMerb instead of MEPS), but they only keep records for 10 years. I went to the Academy, so there wasn't a recruiter involved. Which also means, no packet or anything that I was given. The only thing I have found so far is a letter saying I am medically qualified for the service academies. Not sure if that will be of any value, but I will give a copy to the VA in case.