Medical Retirement and PFA (BCA) Failure.

kmackinley

PEB Forum Regular Member
I recently weighed in for the PFA and failed due to BCA percentage. Is this going to have any effect on the process of retirement? I am due to medically retire next month. I just dont want any problems on my way out. Thanks.

kmackinley,

If your PEB has come back and you have your findings of UNFIT >30%, then absolutely not. PFA (BCA) failure will not effect you. If your command hasn't gotten that "memo" yet, you need to talk to JAG, because, though they ultimately will not be successful, some commands have been known to try to ADMIN sep someone during (or after) the DES/PEB process.

Just a tag on question or Note: I have been hearing that the Navy has been using 3 BCA failures on PEB members = ADMIN SEP and don't let them finish out their full MEB process. Is there an overwriting instruction. Is it pretty black and white in the PRT instruction.

Negative. The NAVPERS and SECNAVINST 1850.4 are very clear on this point. If a member is UNDER a PEB and already in the DES, big Navy has to await the findings of the PEB. Were this is going bad for the member is when the findings are returned as FIT, the member can then be processed out for PRT failure. The key here is for the member to get his/her ducks in a row. If the the weight gain was due to the injury/disease that the member is being MED boarded for, or the member can have the Doctor's make the connection between the Medicines and the weight gain, then this Admin Sep can be faught. Bottom line is to fight the admin sep and get a lawyer. This is the same if the member is found FIT by the PEB and subsequently fails to screen for Operational orders (SEA Duty). Fight it! Get a lawyer.

I recently weighed in for the PFA and failed due to BCA percentage. Is this going to have any effect on the process of retirement? I am due to medically retire next month. I just dont want any problems on my way out. Thanks.
So If I am to understand this, you are set to be MEDICALLY RETIRED(USC10 chapter 61?) next month and this is set in stone as it means that the MEB/PEB have both already concluded and you have been awarded a rating over 30 percent. I would think the PFA would mean absolutely nothing at this point and there would be serious consequences if the command tried to admin sep you due to a documented and recognized medical condition that may have been the cause of the excessive BCA percentage. I wouldn't put it past them though, If it seems suspicious at this point keep your guard up.

If you are medically retiring in a month, why are they even bothering to weigh you in? was this just a courtesy weigh in? If you medical condition does not allow you to fully participate in the PRT you need to make sure you answer YES to the questions that best match your situation on a PHA. It seems to me your PRT coordinator is jacked up, if you already have retirement orders and have a retirement date they need to annotate that in PRIMS.

Gunny,

So if a member is on LIMDU then the 3 prt failures and out. If ongoing a submitting PEB/MEB and awaiting results, then the PRT failures have to await results to have grounds of an admin sep. I ask only because I work with a command who push the 3 and out down the throat of all members on LIMDU/PEB's

Gunny,

So if a member is on LIMDU then the 3 prt failures and out.

Not necessarily out. The instruction leaves a little wiggle room for those merely on LIMDU. However, the language is pretty clear for those under a PEB. PEB takes precedence.