Medical separation changed to disability retirement

T-Wash

Registered Member
Today I received a letter stating that my medical separation was overturned to a disability retirement. I was separated in 2006 and started receiving VA disability compensation in 2008. With my separation I received severance pay in the amount of about $25,000. Since 2008 while receiving the VA compensation, an amount was being deducted from my compensation to pay back the severance pay. I received a letter in 2016 stating that I could apply to have my medical separation possibly changed to a medical separation. Question is should I expect the deductions to continue or will they stop my compensation all together and collect the remaining severance pay and then start paying me again once it's all collected? Also am I eligible for a retirement ID card? Thanks!!

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
With a medical retirement, you are eligible for TRICARE and a military ID card (retired).

With regard to your retired pay, it will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation you receive each month.
EXAMPLE:
$2000 retired pay and $3000 VA compensation
$2000 minus $3000 = zero retired pay

You might be eligible for CRSC which could replace some of the lost/waived retired pay.
See this CRSC LINK <---

Ron

T-Wash

Registered Member
With a medical retirement, you are eligible for TRICARE and a military ID card (retired).

With regard to your retired pay, it will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation you receive each month.
EXAMPLE:
$2000 retired pay and $3000 VA compensation
$2000 minus $3000 = zero retired pay

You might be eligible for CRSC which could replace some of the lost/waived retired pay.
See this CRSC LINK <---

Ron
How would I go about getting the ID and enrolling inTricare? Would my dependents/spouse be able to apply for one also, that is an ID card? I have since divorced and remarried.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Once you're registered in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) A database of information on uniformed services members (sponsors), U.S.-sponsored foreign military, DoD and uniformed services civilians, other personnel as directed by the DoD, and their family members. You need to register in DEERS to get TRICARE., you'll be issued a uniformed services identification (ID) card.

See this LINK <----

I retired out of Germany and had quick processing out at Ft Jackson, SC and left on transition leave for 60+ days. Later, I visited Tinker AFB in Oklahoma to obtain ID cards, etc., including registration in DEERS. This was before common use of the Internet so my info is almost 30 years old.

Someone like Guardguy11 might have more up to date info.

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">