medically disqualified worries

kad4233

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am having a hard time finding anything written about being medically DQ . I will have 20 years of service in Dec this year (ANG ,4600 pts) There is a real chance I will be DQ sometime in July.(nonservice related illness) Im not sure what the rating, might be below 30% or above 30%. Personell is telling me that it will not matter that I will still get my retirement at age 60 but I cant find it written anywhere, however I have found cases where ANG members with less than 20 years have been given severance pay. Any help would be greatly apperciated Im worried sick that I won't get my retirement pay.

Ed Mercanti

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
You will not receive anything from the Army for you medical condition since it is not service connected. If you are determined medically disqualified for retention, one of your choices is to request transfer to the Retired Reserve IAW AR 140-10. Then you will be eligible for retired pay at age 60 since you have over 20 qualifying years of service (you need to verify you have 20 qualifying years. Points alone aren't sufficient).

kad4233

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thanks for your reply. I am in the Air National Guard not sure if it differs from the Army. My paydate is 15 Dec 1996, I called seperations and was told that I would go over 20 years 16 Dec 2012 but, they wouldnt send me a 20 year letter until July 2013.

Ed Mercanti

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
No, it shouldn't matter that you're Air National Guard, other than the regulation used.

NDBravehart84

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Thanks for your reply. I am in the Air National Guard not sure if it differs from the Army. My paydate is 15 Dec 1996, I called seperations and was told that I would go over 20 years 16 Dec 2012 but, they wouldnt send me a 20 year letter until July 2013.
Make sure you review your retirement points sheet.... and that it shows 20 good qualifying year.... don't think about when you started... review the sheet so you know it's 20 good years.
Have you registered with VA yet on any potentially military related issues.... I would think that would be your next stop after you review your retirement points sheet. :D

kad4233

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
The medical conditions that potentially make me medically QD for world wide deployment are migraine headaches, sleep apnea. I havent registered with the VA. I have a hearing loss both ears with tinnitus that has been documented in my medical records. I was also at Balad AB Iraq 05-06 while the burn pits were in full operation. I have always wondered did this have something to do with my headaches and sleep apnea but have no idea where to start with that process.

NDBravehart84

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
The medical conditions that potentially make me medically QD for world wide deployment are migraine headaches, sleep apnea. I havent registered with the VA. I have a hearing loss both ears with tinnitus that has been documented in my medical records. I was also at Balad AB Iraq 05-06 while the burn pits were in full operation. I have always wondered did this have something to do with my headaches and sleep apnea but have no idea where to start with that process.
Well we need to get you with a Veterans Service Officer and get the process started. Should be as easy as contacting a local DAV, VFW or American Leigon. Check your phone book....
BE FORWORNED.... The waiting line is long but if there is a VA Clinic close by you can start your Health Care Needs while you are waiting on Benifets .....
(TWO DIFFERENT PROGRAMS) ;) Bravehart

xgijane

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
First, let me say that some of my info may be out-dated, but I'll pass it on to help you get going in the right direction. Definitely file for VA Disability Comp and SSDI now. You can file for SSDI on the internet, and VA through VONAPP on the internet. If you have problems with that process there are phone reps who can talk you through the process. Do it now, even if you don't have all the medical records. Your medical issues may not be considered towards a medical retirement, but could be by the VA now, or later on, and towards Social Security.Social Security and even VA will probably deny your claim initially, but don't give up.Then, if you qualify later, your start date will be established(very often other medical problems like PTSD appear later, so you want to file now). Make sure you don't get discharged before you have your 20 good years(Ed is right; points don't matter), because you won't get your retirement at age 60 without them. If you are afraid about getting a good year, get on the Army Correspondence course site and earn points towards a good year immediately (that saved me from losing my last 6 months-I earned 12 ACCP points). Check with your Educational Officer about this. When asking for guidance on any issues, ask for the regulation number that proves what you are being told. Trust NO ONE when they tell you that you'll be okay for retirement at age 60. You can have an RPAS statement done now to show you just how many points/years you currently have(don't ask for a 20-year letter, just for a RPAS printout). Retired Reserve won't do anything but insure that you get cost of living increases between now and age 60, so if you need more time for your 20 find a way to finish it in Ready Reserve where you are(at your unit or at another one if you have to), then go into Retired Reserve after 20. Just because you don't qualify for world-wide deployment doesn't mean that you can't finish your 20 state-side. You may have to be on a profile for your last few months, but you'll still be in the guard and I would not let them discharge/separate/release you until after you get your 20 good years. Get copies of all of your records now (medical,administrative, education). Severance pay might sound good now, but retirement sounds better. Remember, just like with most recruiters, people will give you wrong information because they don't really know the answers, and in the end you will be the one who loses out. Get a copy of AR 600-8-7 dtd 6 June 2010, pages 7 and 8, and these will tell you the things you need to do and be counseled on. Transfer your SGLI to VGLI ASAP, because depending on your disabilities, you might not qualify for civilian life insurance. You lose it if you don't sign up on time, and once you have it you can try to transfer it to another company later on, or cancel later. Its harder than you think to get life insurance with any type of disabilities, especially for that amount. WHEW!!! Copy, paste, and print the advice you get on here so you can use it at your unit! Keep asking questions, and Good Luck. Hope some of this helps.

kad4233

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thank you all for the info.

WHEW I have some catchup work to do. I am not interested in severace pay I want to recieve retirement pay at age 60. Not sure how I can control if or when I am deemed medically disqualified and my seperation date. Im open for suggestions.

How I got to this point was had to fill out a SF600, 20 April stating what medication I was prescribed and for what reasons. shortly afterwards I was called to the on base clinic and given a "Formal Request for Medical Imformation" letter to be filled out my Dr by 1 July.

I was told that if my migraines were debilitating by my Dr and I continued on the medication I was taking for pain it would be a short process. 30 days or so.

NDBravehart84

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Thank you all for the info.

WHEW I have some catchup work to do. I am not interested in severace pay I want to recieve retirement pay at age 60. Not sure how I can control if or when I am deemed medically disqualified and my seperation date. Im open for suggestions.

How I got to this point was had to fill out a SF600, 20 April stating what medication I was prescribed and for what reasons. shortly afterwards I was called to the on base clinic and given a "Formal Request for Medical Imformation" letter to be filled out my Dr by 1 July.

I was told that if my migraines were debilitating by my Dr and I continued on the medication I was taking for pain it would be a short process. 30 days or so.
Well I think you should be Medically Boarded.... but thats my opinion, although you stated Not Service Connected... I think we need more intel to assist you better ;)

kad4233

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Jason

I suck at comprehending sometimes but I believe according to this link as long as my physical diabilities are not LOD I have more than 15 years that I will recieve retirement pay at age 60?

Ed Mercanti

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Jason

I suck at comprehending sometimes but I believe according to this link as long as my physical diabilities are not LOD I have more than 15 years that I will recieve retirement pay at age 60?
Yes Jason. This law provides retired pay at age 60 for nonregular service for members with 15 or more qualifying years of service, but less than 20 qualifying years of service, at age 60 if they are separated for non-service connected medical disqualification. MAKE SURE THIS IS ON YOUR SEPARATION ORDERS!! They will not issue you a 15-year letter certifying your entitlement to retired pay at age 60 unless its on your orders.

kad4233

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Well a few things have changed over the past couple months. Looks like I have a LOD in the form of a back injury. I have had dr visits and a cspine and tspine xray that show narrowing and calcium buildup caused or aggravate lifting a tool chest over the side of the bed on our 6pax. This happened almost a month ago, could anybody give me thier best guess at a timeline from date of injury to disharge?

What will happen with the worldwide duty DQ?

Mike1983

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Why do you say your other medical issues aren't SC? Plenty of people get SC for their sleep apnea, 50% if you use a CPAP...

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">