Medically retired, Tricare Prime locked in rate...new job healthcare insurance

7LVL

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Because I was medically retired my Tricare Prime coverage rate was locked in. I just started a new job which offers subsidized health insurance. I understand that if I opt to pay for the offered coverage I will need to inform Tricare that I have OHI (other health insurance) which isn’t an issue. My worries about opting for the subsidized insurance is that I still see my psychiatrist.

I know that HIPAA regulates who gets access to my medical information but because my employer subsidizes plan they would see that I am actively seeing my doctor. I am concerned about this. I also still receive care and prescriptions from the VA. Should I just forgo my employer’s plan until I’m vested? If I do decide to go with employer’s plan is there really any benefit to keeping my Tricare Prime plan? Granted it’s not that much money but I’m not sure if filing for them to possibly pay towards the copay is worth the hassle as I’m still relatively young.

No concern other than costs most of those plans have a Tricare supplemental option that covers your out of pocket expenses from Tricare, if not I'm not sure why you would select one from your employer? You have no reason to be concerned these people cannot access your medical records without your signed authorization. It just depends how actively you use your doctors I go all the time so it was highly beneficial for me. On a more personal level, I would never make it aware to ANYONE that you see a shrink or the VA its really none of their concern anyway but I was still surprised the stigma out there for people that are in treatment for these conditions.

I have other insurance. I dropped prime in favor or "free"standard. I have yet to pay a penny.

Are they still pushing for us to pay a premium? Last I heard it was close to $1k a year for a family.

Usually, there is an exception for medical retirees they did that when out of pocket prescriptions went up but then I found out later they exempted medical retirees not sure if similar language is in this bill otherwise this is a huge blow financially on us.

Congress is divided between the House and the Senate as to increasing premiums, copays.... Some Vet organizations regularly lobby Congress to hold the line. I hope Veterans consider joining an organizations that help hold the line. My guess is that eventually the line will break.