Migraine Diary? Is it necessary?

Fins&Feathers87

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I have been instructed to keep a migraine diary from my doctor's at the TBI clinic. Is it recommended to have a physical handwritten diary to show the doctors? Or should i use a app on my phone.Are these diaries crucial to prove or substantiate my post TBI symptoms?

Does anybody have a good paper copy example?

Any advice is extremely helpful, i've had 2 documented TBIs from jumping in the 82nd ABN. These headaches are effecting my career and am hopefully leaning toward medical retirement. Thanks everyone

I recommend keeping a diary that you can copy easily. Old fashioned pen and paper. The diary is essential to the proper rating for migraines. You should not time of onset, time of remission, treatment taken and if you had to go to lay down. Look at the DBQ for migraines, make sure your log covers ever question on the DBQ.

In my case it was very necessary. migraine buddy is a great app to use.

Can you print your diary from Migraine Buddy? How long do you have to keep your diary for it to suffice for a DoD/VA rating?

Yes you can print it. I gave it to my PCM and it was scanned into my record. It is very detailed so it will show everything that you have tried and the effectiveness. I doesn't take much time to use. I have been keep a record for the past 4 months at the request of neurologist. The peblo said it could be useful because it is so detailed.

My case it was pointless to keep a log. I had it, printed, etc... no one cared for it every step of the way. My case might be different. Mine are pretty bad and are a few times a week. Command sends me home/ER when it happens. I get botox for them and have preventative and abortive medication. So there's plenty of other documentation for it, which is probably why everyone looked at my log like a used napkin.

I use migraine buddy but it wasn’t asked for at my exams. I was already diagnosed with migraines so I am sure that had something to do with it.

It seems like a diary isn't essential when you have other forms of medical evidence available (e.g. diagnosis from neurologist or various treatments); etc.

This is how migraines are rated
1571693164924.png

A contemporaneous written diary is good evidence of frequency and if an attack is completely prostrating.

I didn’t need a log...my sleep doctor made sure to document it and gave meds for it...still nothing helps but I ended up with 30% for sleep apnea migraines.

I needed everything but was rated for the full 50% which is actually a little harder to get.

A sworn declaration helps.

Attachments

• SwornDecForms-Original.pdf
    72.6 KB · Views: 82