Mom needs help!

My son is in Marine Boot Camp. He was scheduled to Graduate this weekend. We got a call that he had to have emergency surgery to repair a fractured femoral neck (hip) due to a stress fracture that he was not aware he had. It literally snapped in half during an 11 mile run.

He has had surgery and remains in the hospital. He will not be graduating. I am told that he will be medically discharged in several weeks.

Since he was still in training, will he receive any compensation? Will future medical bills relating to the treatment of this injury be covered by the Marins, and most importantly, can he ever go back in? He was doing so well.....and is so disappointed to not move forward with his company.

Does anyone know of anybody that suffered this injury and was able to return to the military after proper rest and therapy?

Thanks

Jill

I can't give you an educated answer about the process in the Marine Corps/Navy for a medical discharge. However, I can tell you something that must be determined to ascertain if he is eligible for the Post 9/11 Servicemember's Relief Act (new G.I. Bill).

Are they categorizing this injury as existing prior to service? If it is considered a service-connected disability and he has more than 30 days of active duty service he will be eligible for 100% benefits of the new GI Bill.

The surgeon stated he more than likely received the stress fracture sometime in bootcamp, then the second fracture happened a week or so ago from the weight he was carrying on the run they were doing. His femoral neck just snapped under the pressure.

He is/was a normal healthy kid prior to going in. 6'3", 170 pounds.

He just was not actually a "Marine" since he is not graduating, so I don't think he has any type of rank.

He wants to go back in, and is worried that now that he has 2 screws in his hip,that they won't let him.

Jill