Mood Disorders

Joker38

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
The hits just keep on coming...

AD Air Force here, about to be evaluated for mood disorders... is there anyone out there who has been through this and are willing to share their experience... I really don't like going into something not knowing what to expect. I know that if I am diagnosed with a mood disorder I am likely facing an MEB. Any tips, advice etc. would be appreciated.

Mood disorders may or may not be boardable. Many disorders are treatable. You can review the MSD found in the resource section of this website to have a better understanding of diagnoses and/or treatments that make a person unfit for service in the AF. Even then some waiver are authorized.

In the end you make find yourself feeling much better. "The hits keep coming" may turn out to be a good thing.

Best wishes.

Thank you. I did indeed read the MSD. I still have to do the psych eval, so we will see what comes of that. I have already been diagnosed with unspecified anxiety, and my family has pointed out that I have had Bipolar like symptoms. Like I said, I have to go through the process and let it play out the way it will. This website has been invaluable in providing information so far.

Active duty AF Flight-Officer. Dx'd w/ Acute Adjustment Disorder in Sep 2015. Put on waiverable med. Shrink/Chain of Command/Flt Surgeon say i got better. HHQ didn't agree. Fast forward to Feb 2018. New psychiatrist at new base decided it was time for an MEB. MEB suggested Assignment Limit Code of 2 (ALC-2, no deployments outside CONUS unless w/ approved waiver). I also noticed that piece of paperwork said "Chronic Adjustment Disorder".

The key to my ALC-2, I believe, is the NARSUM stating that w/ treatment and medication my condition will improve (treatable). It also helped that my commander wrote a favorable impact statement.