Most recent MRI

MoparFin

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I had my rating for my lower back decreased from 20% to 10%. I am appealing this. Right now the appeal is listed as being with the DRO. I have received MRI results and they state

The MRI of the lumbar spine is showing postoperative changes and small discopathy.

Small broad-based posterior central and left paracentral protrusion of the L5-S1 disc, which likely impinges on the left S1 nerve root. Stable postoperative changes of left-sided laminotomy at L5-S1 level, without evidence of enhancing epidural or perineural scarring.

I have a follow up appointment with the doc this Friday to find out what next steps are as far as care.

Anyone have any input on what this may mean rating/appeal wise?

Also states:

At L4-L5 level, there is no significant disc herniation. There is mild bilateral facet arthropathy and ligamentous hypertrophy. There is no significant central canal or foraminal stenosis.
At L5-S1 level, again noted are postoperative changes of left-sided laminotomy. There is a small broad-based posterior central and left paracentral disc protrusion, which likely impinges on the traversing left S1 nerve root. There is bilateral facet arthropathy. There is no significant central canal stenosis. There is mild to moderate left foraminal stenosis. The right neural foramen is patent. Following intravenous contrast, there is no evidence of enhancing epidural or perineural scar.
There is a small left lower pole renal cyst. Otherwise, the visualized paravertebral soft tissues are grossly unremarkable.
Impression:
Small broad-based posterior central and left paracentral protrusion of the L5-S1 disc, which likely impinges on the left S1 nerve root. Stable postoperative changes of left-sided laminotomy at L5-S1 level, without evidence of enhancing epidural or perineural scarring

What code did the VA assign with your original and decreased rating?

Not sure about the codes but it says Lumbar digenerative disc disease post L5/S1 lamienectomy and discectomy.

Was at 20, now at 10. Appeal started in June.