Moving entitlements


Registered Member
I have a few questions in regard to moving entitlements.

I am separating within the next 2 months, hopefully. I had to submit a VA reconsideration and an appeal to the informal board. This might take a couple months. I am going to school when I separate. I might start school in a couple weeks in case the process takes longer. I don't want to miss out on a whole semester and be without the BAH when I do separate. I have 2 kids to support on my own. When I separate I am moving to my home of record because my family is there and my other child.

If I separate before I finish school and have to stay where I am for 2 more months would the Army still pay me to move to my home of record. Lets say I start school today, separate in 2 months, then move 2 months after that once I finish school. Would they pay me at the time of separation? Would they put a hold and pay me once my semester is finished? Or would they not pay me at all since I am not moving at the time of separation?

I appreciate any insight you can give me?

Sgt zo

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I think you have 12 months to file the final travel voucher. That's AF policy but you should ask your travel pay office.


PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
You do have 12 months, but when I was coming up on my 12th month from Retirement, Army, I filed for an extra year extension and was approved. I knew we would probably move within that next year and we did. Now that was almost 4 years ago so I am not sure if an extension would still apply.


PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I recommend waiting until you have your DD-214 to make school decisions.

You have the potential of creating a lot of headache by bouncing around as you are suggesting.

A semester is only a few months. Make decisions with solid data not guessing what the VA might do in the future.
data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">