Mrr process

Doc_King_85

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I think this is where it belongs.

Hello all I was given this forum to help maybe answer some questions I might have and gain some knowledge.

I was recently retired from the Navy Reserves under a MRR being found unfit for duty. I had 16 years in the Navy when this happened. After talking to a JAG and a friend of mine its sounds like I should have been actually medically retired since all my injuries were service connected in some way. Going down the PEB route. At this point being just retired what should I do to fix this, and who should I contact?

Thank you for any help you can provide. I am also 100% through the VA.

I think this is where it belongs.

Hello all I was given this forum to help maybe answer some questions I might have and gain some knowledge.

I was recently retired from the Navy Reserves under a MRR being found unfit for duty. I had 16 years in the Navy when this happened. After talking to a JAG and a friend of mine its sounds like I should have been actually medically retired since all my injuries were service connected in some way. Going down the PEB route. At this point being just retired what should I do to fix this, and who should I contact?

Thank you for any help you can provide. I am also 100% through the VA.
Did you get a 15 year letter? If you had 15 good years that should allow you to retire at age 60. To try to have it changed you would need to submit to the BCMR. If you can retire at age 60 with a 15 year letter I would probably leave it be if I had a 100% rating with the VA. Most likely any medical retirement would be offset by that VA compensation since you can't get both.

Did you get a 15 year letter? If you had 15 good years that should allow you to retire at age 60. To try to have it changed you would need to submit to the BCMR. If you can retire at age 60 with a 15 year letter I would probably leave it be if I had a 100% rating with the VA. Most likely any medical retirement would be offset by that VA compensation since you can't get both.
I received normal reserve retirement paperwork that I was told anyone would would receive after hitting 20 years.

The Navy jag office in Washington told me that you can receive both concurrently now.

That is incorrect unless you have a 20-year letter. Do you have a 20 year letter or a 15 year letter?

No I don’t have a letter but I have packaged that tells me my benefits when I turn 60. Including tricare and retirement pay.

Now with Combat Related specialty pay you can be retired medically and receive both benefits.

I was retired with an MRR which is administrative, I am wanting to be medically retired at this point because I was lied to initially by my NOSC.

No I don’t have a letter but I have packaged that tells me my benefits when I turn 60. Including tricare and retirement pay.

Now with Combat Related specialty pay you can be retired medically and receive both benefits.

I was retired with an MRR which is administrative, I am wanting to be medically retired at this point because I was lied to initially by my NOSC.
Then your only path is a BCMR filing.

Doc_King_85 can you send me your contact in a private message. I'm going through the MRR process also.

When an injury is service connected (SC) the VA will compensate that injury. To result in retirement the injury must be SC and unfitting and be equal to or greater than 30%.