Mulitary medical retirement question.

Military Medical Retirement Pay question

I have a question based on the math of PDRL/TDRL. The way [DFAS](https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/disability/) explains the Disability payments in Method A and Method B is a little confusing. Method A: Retirement pay is based off Disabilty percentage or years of active service, whichever is more beneficial.

Please let me know that I am understanding this right.
Example, say I am 13 years in as an E-7 on Blended Retirement (BRS) with a DOD Disability of 30% and Combined Disabilty Rating (CDR) of 50% (with the VA math being whatever it is to get a CDR of 50%), Base pay = $4,685
Method A Math: 50% Disability = 50% of base pay. BASEPAY \*50% = $2342.5/Month
Method B Math: 13 YOS \* 2.0%(BRS) \* High 3 ($4,685) = $1218.1 / Month

To my understanding and reading this, Method A ***IS NOT*** based of VA Disabilty pay charts and solely off a percentage of CDR? Is this correct?

Edit: I understand that i will get the better of the two, but the way it reads, it sounds like 50% of base pay ($2350) and not 50% va rated disability($950ish). Which of the amounts is the actual pay? High difference in pay.

Hello @dbog

The two computations are (in no particular order):

1. DoD disability percentage (example 70%) x average high three base pay = retired pay via DoD disability percentage

2. Active duty equivalent x 2.5% (or 2% for blended retirement) = longevity multiplier
Active duty multiplier x average three base pay = longevity portion of retired pay

Notes: Average high three base pay = total of highest 36 months of base pay divided by 36
Active duty equivalent = total creditable points divided by 360 OR in rare PEB cases, just total active duty years since zero creditable points were attained for non-regular retirement.

Ron