Multiple Sclerosis MED board experiences?

Shane C

Registered Member
I'm currently an 0-3 in the Regular Army with 13 years TIS. I've been having cognitive issues, extreme fatigue, balance and dexterity issues, face muscle twitching, photopsia, etc. I can still pass the ACFT and do four mile runs without issues. But I struggle daily with fatigue and mental fog that make me have mental freezes and get words reversed. I saw a friend who is a doctor. He thinks I have MS, but wouldn't give me a formal diagnosis because he's not a neurologist.

I enjoy being a military officer and have a good long-term career I don't want to lose. I'm torn between getting a formal diagnosis so I can get on treatment to slow the disease progression (assuming I have MS or similar illness) and trying to stay under the radar and retire at 20 years (hopefully being promoted to 0-4).

My first wife spent the last year of her life in a hospital fighting for her life. I first assumed my fatigue and cognitive symptoms were from unaddressed ptsd from that. But then I started having other issues like photopsia and face muscle twitching that I knew couldn't be from ptsd.

Just the thought of being medically discharged is difficult for me to accept because I've been working at least one, if not two jobs, continually since I was 14 years old. I've also seen so many abled body people work the DOD/VA medical system to get money without working. These people have created a stigma towards those in the MED board process that I don't want to be associated with .

I have a few questions for those reading my post so I can be better informed if I decide to get a formal diagnosis in the Army healthcare system. I know my career will essentially be over if I'm formally diagnosed with MS.

1. How long did you spend in the MED board process?
2. What was your final MS disability rating?
3. Any advice/pointers from your personal experience going through the process?

Thank you for your time reading and responding to my post.

I'm currently an 0-3 in the Regular Army with 13 years TIS. I've been having cognitive issues, extreme fatigue, balance and dexterity issues, face muscle twitching, photopsia, etc. I can still pass the ACFT and do four mile runs without issues. But I struggle daily with fatigue and mental fog that make me have mental freezes and get words reversed. I saw a friend who is a doctor. He thinks I have MS, but wouldn't give me a formal diagnosis because he's not a neurologist.

I enjoy being a military officer and have a good long-term career I don't want to lose. I'm torn between getting a formal diagnosis so I can get on treatment to slow the disease progression (assuming I have MS or similar illness) and trying to stay under the radar and retire at 20 years (hopefully being promoted to 0-4).

My first wife spent the last year of her life in a hospital fighting for her life. I first assumed my fatigue and cognitive symptoms were from unaddressed ptsd from that. But then I started having other issues like photopsia and face muscle twitching that I knew couldn't be from ptsd.

Just the thought of being medically discharged is difficult for me to accept because I've been working at least one, if not two jobs, continually since I was 14 years old. I've also seen so many abled body people work the DOD/VA medical system to get money without working. These people have created a stigma towards those in the MED board process that I don't want to be associated with .

I have a few questions for those reading my post so I can be better informed if I decide to get a formal diagnosis in the Army healthcare system. I know my career will essentially be over if I'm formally diagnosed with MS.

If you were diagnosed with MS the minimum VA rating is 30% meaning you would be medically retired. You would get the higher percentage between your DOD disability rating which is based on what the VA rates you and your longevity. 13 years is slightly over 32% if you are on the old retirement system. If blended then the DOD will be higher.

The MED board process is about 9-12 months.

I would focus on your health. If you get out because of MS you will have a pension and Tricare for life. You are so very far away from your 20 years that I suggest you put your health first! Once you are facing a MEB you can hire a private attorney to work towards the best results for your situation.

Sir,

Enlisted USMC here i cannot speak to the timeliness for the process in the Army however you can look up ratings on VA.gov to see how they rate particular illnesses, or injuries. You will fall into a category after you have been examined and the doctor has finished their report. I understand the stigma that you explained, however during this process you will be your biggest advocate, so if you have issues tell them. Its the only way you will get what you deserve. Best of luck to you.

Good Morning,

20 year Navy RC (14 AC, 6 RC). Were you able to get LOD status for MS as the Navy is fighting me stating that since there is no known direct cause for MS LOD status cannot be granted. This is from PERS-952.