Multiple sclerosis

Nyjohnny

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was told I might have multiple sclerosis. How do I go about getting the actual symptoms diagnosed properly. I currently have tingling, twitches and numbness through my entire body. I have weakness on both sides of the body. I also have headaches and stomach pain. I don’t know if I have to visit my PCM for each seperate issue or will the neurologist that I will see put that on my record.

heathro1281

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
PCM should refer you to neurology and ophthalmology as there are some eye tests that can be done also. Plus CAT scan MRIs can be used to also rule out other conditions. Simple test can be done by touching your chin to your neck. You can google those tests to see if you have related symptoms. But start with your PCM.

Nyjohnny

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Will I be rated on just the MS or every portion of the body that the MS effects?

heathro1281

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Code 8018: Multiple sclerosis (a.k.a. MS) is a degenerative disease that gets worse over time and causes the tissues surrounding the axons in the brain and spinal cord to swell, disconnecting the brain from the rest of the body. Symptoms get worse over time and include loss of coordination, weakness, difficulty eating (7203, 9901), muscle spasms or tics (8103-8104), difficulty breathing (6840-6841), nerve paralysis, double vision (6009), depression (9434), and other mental disorders. It is rated on the Central Nervous Rating System. The minimum rating for this condition is 30%.

You can use Military Disability Made Easy as a link to get some general information. But if the symptom is directly related to MS then it could be rated separately. A diagnosis of MS alone is at least 30%.

Nyjohnny

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I am still currently active duty with 16 years in the navy. I would like to make it to 20 but I doubt it’s possible if I have MS.

heathro1281

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If you don't have symptoms that result in waivers or non-deployability then there shouldn't be any worries. But if you are on physical waivers and become non-deployable then you very well may under go a MEB. That is a talk you need to have with PCM to see what your options are.

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
MS is usually diagnosed via MRI of the brain showing lesions. Have you had an MRI yet? There are literally thousands of neurological conditions that can mimic one another. You need a lot of testing before anyone can diagnose you with MS. Numbness and tingling don’t mean anything... it could be anything.

Tests for MS include:

MRI
Evoked potentials
Spinal tap

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">