My CRSC Timeline.

Thank you, I guess we’ll just have to see! Lol
I feel my CRSC amount is correct, just haven’t heard anything on backpay. So I was just curious
If your current CRSC is accurate, then odds are that the retro will be as well.

Good luck...

Ron

@RonG any chance you might be able to help me calculate sir? I'd definitely appreciate it.

16 years of Active Duty
4300 high 3 as of Aug '18, been receiving 0 because of 3500 from VA
80% Med Retired
100% VA
80% CRSC
2 Dependents

@RonG any chance you might be able to help me calculate sir? I'd definitely appreciate it.

16 years of Active Duty
4300 high 3 as of Aug '18, been receiving 0 because of 3500 from VA
80% Med Retired
100% VA
80% CRSC
2 Dependents
Hello,

I will be happy to provide an estimate. Please provide ALL of the following:

Information necessary for CRSC estimate: See first section of this LINK <---

Ron

Hello,

I will be happy to provide an estimate. Please provide ALL of the following:

Information necessary for CRSC estimate: See first section of this LINK <---

Ron

--The high 3 ($4300 but for the longevity at $1752 for the 16 years and 4 months.
--I was approved for 80% DOD in my medical retirements, waived it all for VA.
-- I have 16 years and 4 months and 7 days of active duty
--I receive 100% VA with is $3500.00 with a wife and 2 kids that are under 18 years.
--Approved 80% CRSC-- wife and 1 kid that is under 18 years.

--The high 3 ($4300 but for the longevity at $1752 for the 16 years and 4 months.
--I was approved for 80% DOD in my medical retirements, waived it all for VA.
-- I have 16 years and 4 months and 7 days of active duty
--I receive 100% VA with is $3500.00 with a wife and 2 kids that are under 18 years.
--Approved 80% CRSC-- wife and 1 kid that is under 18 years.

Here is an estimate using the data you provided:

1. High three 4300 x 0.75 max DoD = 3225 retired pay (the use of the gross retired pay on your most recent DFAS RAS would have included the COLA increases)
2. All the retired pay is waived due the VA offset.
3. 16.333 AD years x 0.025 = 40.83% longevity multiplier
4. 4300 x 0.025 = 1755.69 longevity portion of retired pay
5. 80% CRSC spouse & one child under 18 =$1,897.80

Your CRSC is 1755.60 based on the info you provided which includes different numbers for the children involved (VA & CRSC).

Ron

So, I have a question, I retired on 31 July, AD the whole time. My VA has been 100% since Aug 2016. I recently filed for CRSC and was approved at 100% backdated to August of 2016 as well. I am a retired Marine MSgt if that makes any addition to the calculations. I have received 2 months of CRSC at this point. How would I calculate my back pay and would I receive any? Thank you all for any help.

So, I have a question, I retired on 31 July, AD the whole time. My VA has been 100% since Aug 2016. I recently filed for CRSC and was approved at 100% backdated to August of 2016 as well. I am a retired Marine MSgt if that makes any addition to the calculations. I have received 2 months of CRSC at this point. How would I calculate my back pay and would I receive any? Thank you all for any help.
Hello @SJB58

Since your service was all active duty, and your VA rating has been 50% or more since you retired, you have received all your retired pay through CRDP. See page two of your previous DFAS RAS-es for the CRDP remarks. The DFAS is not going to change the CRDP to CRSC for previous years--no back pay is due for those years.

You can files amended tax returns for certain years. I wrote a post about that process a few years ago on another board. Some things might have changed like I think the Form X can now be done electronically. I will return with that info.

Ron

Last edited:
Hello @SJB358

Here is the post from 2017 Amended Tax Returns for Retro CRSC--LINK

Some considerations:
--Check the IRS pages for possible updates or changes since my post was made
--I am not a tax professional and prepare returns only for my family.

Good luck,
Ron

Hello @SJB58

Since your service was all active duty, and your VA rating has been 50% or more since you retired, you have received all your retired pay through CRDP. See page two of your previous DFAS RAS-es for the CRDP remarks. The DFAS is not going to change the CRDP to CRSC for previous years--no back pay is due for those years.

You can files amended tax returns for certain years. I wrote a long post about that process a few years ago on another board. Some things might have changed like I think the Form X can now be done electronically. I will return with that info.

Ron

Ron, I didn’t receive the CRDB deal until about 2 months before I received CRSC. I wasn’t aware of CRSC, so I received the CRDB first for a few months then was shown how to apply for CRSC. So I was changed from CRDB to CRSC by DFAS since it was more advantageous to me.

Thanks for taking the time to look the other stuff up.

So I guess the back pay that I would be looking at for roughly 6 years would be the fed/state taxes I paid?

Hello @SJB358

Re: CRDP (not CRDB)

You said: "Ron, I didn’t receive the CRDB deal until about 2 months before I received CRSC. I wasn’t aware of CRSC, so I received the CRDB first for a few months then was shown how to apply for CRSC. So I was changed from CRDB to CRSC by DFAS since it was more advantageous to me."

and

"So, I have a question, I retired on 31 July, AD the whole time. My VA has been 100% since Aug 2016. I recently filed for CRSC and was approved at 100% backdated to August of 2016 as well. I am a retired Marine MSgt if that makes any addition to the calculations. I have received 2 months of CRSC at this point. How would I calculate my back pay and would I receive any? Thank you all for any help."

Comments:

Did you retire in 2016? You said your CRSC was effective August 2016.

What CRSC payments have you received previously and at what rate(s)?

What CRDP payments have you received? They are noticeable ONLY by a comment on page two of the DFAS RAS. CRDP is included in the gross retired pay on a DFAS rAS.

Ron

I retired 31 July 2016, started receiving 100% VA on 1 August 2016. I applied for CRDP in the June timeframe. I applied for and was accepted 100% CRSC last month.

So as of today, I’ve received two payments of CRSC Ron and two months prior I received the CRDP.

I retired 31 July 2016, started receiving 100% VA on 1 August 2016. I applied for CRDP in the June timeframe. I applied for and was accepted 100% CRSC last month.

So as of today, I’ve received two payments of CRSC Ron and two months prior I received the CRDP.

Hello,

CRDP does not require an application. Reservists/NG who are nearing the age requirement for non-regular retirement submit a request for retirement which triggers CRDP (among other things) for those personnel assuming they qualify for CRDP.

Have you reviewed page two of your DFAS RAS for months prior to receipt of CRSC? Your most recent might be for December 2021 for the COLA increase.

Based on the information you have provided, you should have received CRDP ever since you retired, except for the period you received CRSC.

You received a regular retirement, yes?

Ron

Since the day I retired, I’ve had federal and state taxes deducted from my pay. A few months before I applied for CRSC I sent in the paperwork for CRDP which zeroed out the federal taxes from my retirement and no other changes occurred.

I just went and checked my RAS. March 23 2022 was the first month of CRDP in which Fed Taxes were not deducted from my retirement.

7/21 was when CRSC was put into effect for me. Does that help?

I guess what I am asking is what is the CRSC back pay, just the Fed/State taxes I paid in the past 6 years?

I just went and looked at the Page 2 of the RAS. I was enrolled in CRDP all the time, but March when I submitted the paperwork, my Fed Tax dropped off the RAS as a deduction. So I was a little confused and wasn't sure exactly what I applied for, but thought it was CRDP.

I just went and checked my RAS. March 23 2022 was the first month of CRDP in which Fed Taxes were not deducted from my retirement.

7/21 was when CRSC was put into effect for me. Does that help?
CRDP is taxable. CRSC is non-taxable

No, that does not, at least in the context I am looking at this.

I asked these questions:
Have you reviewed page two of your DFAS RAS for months prior to receipt of CRSC? Your most recent might be for December 2021 for the COLA increase. added: Please look at the December 2021 RAS when COLA increased.

Based on the information you have provided, you should have received CRDP ever since you retired, except for the period you received CRSC.

Ron

This is good:
" just went and looked at the Page 2 of the RAS. I was enrolled in CRDP all the time, but March when I submitted the paperwork, my Fed Tax dropped off the RAS as a deduction. So I was a little confused and wasn't sure exactly what I applied for, but thought it was CRDP."

It was not taxed because you were paid CRSC on a separate DFAS state,emt. See MyPay.

The newest info brings us back to my first remarks:

You can files amended tax returns for certain years. I wrote a post about that process a few years ago on another board. Some things might have changed like I think the Form X can now be done electronically. I will return with that info.

Ron

CRDP is taxable. CRSC is non-taxable

No, that does not, at least in the context I am looking at this.

I asked these questions:
Have you reviewed page two of your DFAS RAS for months prior to receipt of CRSC? Your most recent might be for December 2021 for the COLA increase. added: Please look at the December 2021 RAS when COLA increased.

Ron

Yes, I received a regular payment from 1 August until I started receiving CRSC. The amount was 2704.00.

Sorry for the confusion.