My CRSC Timeline.

So I have 80% CRSC approved effective 13JAN and it was turned in 6FEB, as of now I’m looking at 63 months of retro, 2700 was my high 3, based off that calculation did you high amount exceed mine? Just wondering if it will take 4 months like yours
Your monthly CRSC is likely to be the result of the following formula:

1. Active duty years x 2.5% = multiplier
Example, 3 years AD x 2.5% = 7.5%

2. High three average x multiplier = dollar amount of longevity portion of retirement pay.
Example: 2700 x 7.5% = 202.50 dollar amount of longevity portion of retirement pay

3. Any residual retired pay (left over) from the VA offset will reduce the monthly CRSC.
Example: 100 residual retired pay; 202.50 from above - 100 =102.50 CRSC.

4. The CRSC for CH 61 retirees generally is the lesser of
—dollar amount of longevity portion of retirement pay
OR
—dollar amount in the VA compensation tables that is the percentage approved by service for CRSC.

Ron

I talked to a DFAS VA retro payment representative finally last week, and was told my audit is "in its final stages" apparently. She was a real nice lady.

So I have 80% CRSC approved effective 13JAN and it was turned in 6FEB, as of now I’m looking at 63 months of retro, 2700 was my high 3, based off that calculation did you high amount exceed mine? Just wondering if it will take 4 months like yours
I’m looking at 69 months of retro and my audit started back on January 7th. Friday will be my 60 day mark and all I hear from DFAS is 90-120 days.
My high 3 was $1900. Maybe you'll get it quicker than me....good luck!!

I’m at 97 days waiting for my backpay. It’s from October 2014 till February of this year. Why does DFAS make you wait 2 hours and have no answers? Please someone help

Ask for VA Retro Pay when you first talk to someone, and they will tell you where you are in the process. I received my backpay after 5 months of waiting, and my case was sent through audit twice.

SGT Howard,

Re: "Why does DFAS make you wait 2 hours and have no answers? Please someone help"

I assume part of the problem is getting through to DFAS. I usually starting calling DFAS at 0757 hours (Eastern) and continue to call until 0800 hours (Eastern) when DFAS is open for business. I am in the Central time zone, so the call is made at 0657 hours, my time. I have always gotten through by 0803 hours (Eastern).

What answers are you expecting? You did not mention them. If you are inquiring about when your retroactive payment will be generated, usually the best they can provide is a range such as 1-2 months. It is unlikely the people with whom you speak are accountants who might be processing your documents.

Good luck,
Ron

@RonG
Would you help me calculate my possible CRSC payment?

20 Year DOD retirement: $4968
VA rating: 100% T&P: $3437
Assumption: CRSC 100% due to nature of disabilities
No DoD rating.
Not Ch 61

Mailed CRSC app: 10 May
Rec'd by HRC: 13 May

Thanks in advance!

@RonG
Would you help me calculate my possible CRSC payment?
20 Year DOD retirement: $4968
VA rating: 100% T&P: $3437
Assumption: CRSC 100% due to nature of disabilities
No DoD rating.
Not Ch 61
Mailed CRSC app: 10 May
Rec'd by HRC: 13 May
Thanks in advance!

Hello,
@landjayc

1. Gross retired pay of 4968 reduced by 3437 VA compensation = 1531 residual retired pay
2. 100% CRSC = 3437
3. Payments each month:
VA = 3437
DFAS 3437 CRSC + 1531 residual retired pay = 4968

Note: Regular 20 year retirement; not CH 61

If your CRSC is not approved at 100%, you are probably better off remaining with CRDP. With CRSC @ less than 100%, your retired pay would still be reduced by 3437, but the CRSC would only replace the amount associated with the <100% rate (e.g., 60%) which mirrors the VA comp charts for that percentage.

Ron
SASCOM/59th Ord Bde ‘72-‘77

Hello,
@landjayc

1. Gross retired pay of 4968 reduced by 3437 VA compensation = 1531 residual retired pay
2. 100% CRSC = 3437
3. Payments each month:
VA = 3437

If your CRSC is not approved at 100%, you are probably better off remaining with CRDP. With CRSC @ less than 100%, your retired pay would still be reduced by 3437, but the CRSC would only replace the amount associated with the <100% rate (e.g., 60%) which mirrors the VA comp charts for that percentage.

Ron

Thanks sir- I appreciate it. I'll post the final amount when I know it.

Ask for VA Retro Pay when you first talk to someone, and they will tell you where you are in the process. I received my backpay after 5 months of waiting, and my case was sent through audit twice.
Seems like I’m headed to similar results as you. I was just airing out frustrations. The two hour wait time and letter about audit for SBP sent me over the edge. They are quick to audit and tell you that you owe them, but drag their feet when they owe you

Hello, When do you see your CRCS payment ;es on my pay?
Got Approve on April 15. 2019
today May 24, 2019 nothing on the site, but I get a deposit on the May 31???
I thought you can see what is going on before a deposit

Hello, When do you see your CRCS payment ;es on my pay?
Got Approve on April 15. 2019
today May 24, 2019 nothing on the site, but I get a deposit on the May 31???
I thought you can see what is going on before a deposit
I just checked my own CRSC and the statement for 1-31 May 2019 is not posted yet (@ 0155 hrs, 24 May...central time zone)

Ron

I'm not seeing my CRSC statement as of today either and nothing is pending in my bank account for the 1st. I was awarded CRSC Feb 16, received my first payment April 1st and am still waiting on backpay for 22 months. As of the last conversation I had with a Tier 2 rep this past Tuesday, my audit hasn't even been started. They said it will be another 30-120 days which is ridiculous.

I'm not seeing my CRSC statement as of today either and nothing is pending in my bank account for the 1st. I was awarded CRSC Feb 16, received my first payment April 1st and am still waiting on backpay for 22 months. As of the last conversation I had with a Tier 2 rep this past Tuesday, my audit hasn't even been started. They said it will be another 30-120 days which is ridiculous.

Hello,

26 May 2019: I checked MyPay at 0615 hours (Central Time) and my CRSC statement was not available either. It is not a new account and it appears your account is the same. That is not an indication we will not be paid on 31 May 2019 for 1 -31 May CRSC (1 June is on a weekend).

Payments for retroactive CRSC are normally "out of cycle" payments. The DFAS does not batch retro payments for the end of a certain month; they can be paid at any time.

Waiting on back pay of 22 months is frustrating; I know from personal experience. However, per anecdotal evidence, the recent DFAS processing of retro CRSC has often taken 1-3 months after they receive the approval document due to the never-ending large volume of approved applications received.

I hope you receive your deserved payment soon.

Good luck,
Ron

My CRSC statement as yet to post as well. I was approved back in November, received my first payment in December and I’m still waiting on my back pay to July of 2014. I had escalated my case after I hit the 120 days and received a letter that was dated April 12th that stated I would receive my back pay in 30-60 days. I don’t know how true that actually is or if they even escalated anything but I guess I’ll see if I get my money by 12 June. They did give me a tentative amount so I’m looking forward to how accurate that is.

My CRSC statement as yet to post as well. I was approved back in November, received my first payment in December and I’m still waiting on my back pay to July of 2014. I had escalated my case after I hit the 120 days and received a letter that was dated April 12th that stated I would receive my back pay in 30-60 days. I don’t know how true that actually is or if they even escalated anything but I guess I’ll see if I get my money by 12 June. They did give me a tentative amount so I’m looking forward to how accurate that is.
Im new at this I do not have statement but it do come on time for the first payment

Hello, for your first payment sis it show up in your account because I do not have a pay statement at all

The audit for retro can take up to 90-120 days. Mines took a little longer.
I’m in same situation as you. I’m over 125 days and so frustrated. I see why the vet suicide rate is so high. It hurts to fight for what’s yours

Hello,
@landjayc

2. 100% CRSC = 3437
3. Payments each month:
VA = 3437

Ron

Sir- got my CRSC amount back- 70% or $2175. Question now becomes do I take it or not? I'm not sure I understand how the math works. I'm considering this as my ex-wife is looking to take a chunk of my retired pay and I want to reduce the exposure. Would you be so kind as to walk me through the numbers??

I think that the numbers work like this- please correct me if I'm wrong.

Current Army Retirement is $4968, of which $3437 is CRDP leaving $1531 as residual retired pay.
With CRSC, I'd receive $1531 Residual + $2175 for a total of $3676 per month, yes?

If the above is true, then with CRDP, I'd receive $4968, but she gets ~$1350/month due to the marital share math.
With CRSC, I'd get the $3676, but she'd only get ~$430/month due to the marital share math.

Either way, my pay is reduced in the end, I just want to make sure I understand the math...

Thanks!

Hello,

I do not offer advice regarding apportionment of pay to a former spouse. I'll be glad to comment on the amounts you will receive under CRDP and CRSC, but without comment on what your former spouse will receive.

You said:
1. Current Army Retirement is $4968, of which $3437 is CRDP leaving $1531 as residual retired pay.
2. With CRSC, I'd receive $1531 Residual + $2175 for a total of $3676 per month, yes?

Comments:
Item 1: With CRDP, you receive a total of $4968 and of that total, $3437 is CRDP which is shown as a remark on page 2 of the DFAS RAS. Since CRDP itself is technically retired pay, you receive $4968 in retired pay when you select the CRDP program.

Item 2. CRSC is not retired pay. It is a non-taxable compensation based on Combat Related disabilities. You mentioned, "...got my CRSC amount back- 70% or $2175."
I did not see a 70% rate in the VA compensation tables at $2175, but I do not know the categories of your dependents, nor the number. Your CRSC at 70% would be found in the VA compensation tables at LINK to VA Tables <----

Using your 70% CRSC amount of $2175

Retired Pay: 4968
Retired pay reduced by amount of VA comp: 4968 - 3437 = 1531 residual retired pay
CRSC (amount provided by you): 2175
Total each month: 1531 + 2175 = 3706
This is more than what you computed, "2. With CRSC, I'd receive $1531 Residual + $2175 for a total of $3676 per month, yes?"

DFAS discusses the former spouse issue at this DFAS LINK <---
Other related pages are linked on that page.

Ron