my crsc timeline

Joe Stotski

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
background - 2yrs active duty, 18 yrs army reserve, 8/68 thru 8/69 1st air cav div. receiving retired pay since 2005
2/1/2016 diagnois a/o prostate cancer
2/3/2016 - submit claim to va
7/27/2016 - va claim approved at 100%
9/14/2016 - approved for CRDP
11/2016 thru 1/2017 - 45 external beam radiation treatments
9/11/2017 mandated va medical exam
10/17/2017 disabilty rating decreased from 100% to 20%
12/17/2018 va letter stating the decrease effective 1/12019
1/25/2019 HRC-Army received my application for CRSC
4/9/2019 HRC approved my application
4/12/2019 letter posted to my HRC document file
4/27/2019 HRC approval letter in the mail
DFAS yet to process - will update

crsc up-date
1/25/2019 - applied for crsc with hrc-army
4/9/2019 - application approved
4/22/2019 - crsc amount statement effective date
5/1/2019 - crsc payment date
51/2019 - full retirement pay re-instated
??? retro pay - not yet received

My CRSC was approved on 08 April and I've heard nothing from DFAS about payment at all, I'm going to call.

My CRSC was approved on 08 April and I've heard nothing from DFAS about payment at all, I'm going to call.

I suspect you will receive your first payment on 31 May 2019 since 1 June is on a weekend.

Often a document is prepared on a certain date, but it does not actually leave that location until several days later.

Good luck,
Ron

Note. I have had zero communication with DFAS.Not a word or note from DFAS. My info on my timeline concerning DFAS portion I got from my - myPay Website.
This week the ras statement for May sould be posted. This should up-date my account except for retro pay.

Note. I have had zero communication with DFAS.Not a word or note from DFAS. My info on my timeline concerning DFAS portion I got from my - myPay Website.
This week the ras statement for May sould be posted. This should up-date my account except for retro pay.
Hello,

Your experience is common in my opinion.

As a 20-year AD retiree, I experienced several VA and CRSC increases (after reconsiderations) over the years and many involved retroactive payments. I never received an interim report or contact from DFAS during the period preceding payment. However, it would have been nice if I had been informed of what was being done. I don’t think that action is part of the DFAS protocol for CRSC processing.

You are correct about the posting of the CRSC statements this week.

Ron

Update.....

Called DFAS on the same day I posted. My payment is schedule for 01 June, and she said I couldn't go off of mypay because it's one of the last systems to reflect. She said my audit for back pay would take longer (Which I knew) and that it wouldn't reflect on mypay until about the time the audit finished. What a long road, thanks to the @pebforum and all of the input from everyone about the process. I can say that this was my last significant experience with my retirement process and now that it's done I feel a million times better. Good luck to everyone, I'm going to stay around to help as much as I can.

Update.....

Called DFAS on the same day I posted. My payment is schedule for 01 June, and she said I couldn't go off of mypay because it's one of the last systems to reflect.
Congratulations...

You will be paid on the 31st of May rather than 1 June since the 1st is on Saturday.

Ron

A very delayed up-date. CRSC approved 4/9/2019. On 5/1 and 6/1 and for the future I am receiving 3 direct deposits. #1 from the VA for my disabilty rating of 20%. # 2 from DFAS for my VA reduced retirement pay. #3 from DFAS for my CRSC pay. $ wise almost back to normal. No retro pay received yet. Note - CRSC pay is excempt from court orders, e.g. divorce orders.

[excerpt] No retro pay received yet. Note - CRSC pay is excempt from court orders, e.g. divorce orders.

Correct, however...

“CRSC is not retired pay, and it is not subject to the provisions of 10 U.S. Code § 1408 relating to payment of retired or retainer pay in compliance with court orders.” DOD Financial Management Regulation, Volume 7B, Chapter 63, Section 630101.C.1. CRSC may be garnished for garnishment for child support or alimony, however.
Ref: Section 630101.C.2.

Ron

Thanks to this forum for some good info while my CRSC was processed. Took 8 months - not that unusual from what I have read in the forum. What was unusual is I was first told by Air Force process was 30 business days. Later e-mail and phone queries kept changing that to 2 months, then 3, then 6, then "we are swamped" so I just waited. I agree there should be some way to check in MyPay for status without a lengthy phone call to DFAS or service component. From this thread I now realize I have some back pay coming for CRSC. My VA back pay ("recomputation") took several months and showed up unannounced in my bank account. A nice surprise, but again, would have been nice to know the details. I later got a hardcopy VA letter explaining the back pay.

Hank
Custer SD

A very delayed up-date. CRSC approved 4/9/2019. On 5/1 and 6/1 and for the future I am receiving 3 direct deposits. #1 from the VA for my disabilty rating of 20%. # 2 from DFAS for my VA reduced retirement pay. #3 from DFAS for my CRSC pay. $ wise almost back to normal. No retro pay received yet. Note - CRSC pay is excempt from court orders, e.g. divorce orders.
We have very similar timelines. CRSC Approval letter received 4/21/2019, first payment 5/31/10 and second payment received on 7/1/19. Still no word on my Retro pay as of today(7/15/19) just that it's under audit. My CRSC Statement on mypay hasn't been updated since my first CRSC payment on 5/31.

Thank you. You saved me from a long DFAS on hold phone call about my retro not yet received pay. I would get the same answer as yours - "under audit."

Thank you. You saved me from a long DFAS on hold phone call about my retro not yet received pay. I would get the same answer as yours - "under audit."
Keep me updated! From my understanding it will just show up in your account with no help from my pay statements. Doesn’t necessarily get deposited on the CRSC pay date

Retroactive payments of CRSC are normally paid out of cycle . In other words, DFAS generates retro payments throughout a particular processing month.

Ron

Retroactive payments of CRSC are normally paid out of cycle . In other words, DFAS generates retro payments throughout a particular processing month.

Ron
That’s what I thought. Thanks sir. Now when I check the account daily I can see how much the wife is spending.

I don’t believe you understand how this works. The crsc is the repayment of va reduced funds for qualifying veterans. That is all. The funds you receive from Dfas is your retirement. These two are completely different. You don’t get two offset payments.

I don’t believe you understand how this works. The crsc is the repayment of va reduced funds for qualifying veterans. That is all. The funds you receive from Dfas is your retirement. These two are completely different. You don’t get two offset payments.
Hello Redbeard731,

You replied to, “I am receiving 3 direct deposits. #1 from the VA for my disabilty rating of 20%. # 2 from DFAS for my VA reduced retirement pay. #3 from DFAS for my CRSC pay. $ wise almost back to normal. No retro pay received yet.”

What the retiree stated is possible and likely accurate.

#1. VA disability @ 20%. Requires no explanation.

# 2. VA reduced retired pay. Although it could be better explained perhaps, he is speaking of residual retired pay. In other words, he had retired pay left over from the VA offset and it would be paid by DFAS. He used the phrase,”my VA reduced retired pay.” That makes perfect sense to me. His retired pay was reduced by the amount of VA compensation

#3. CRSC From DFAS. Requires no explanation.

You are correct that one does not receive two offset payments: however he did not state that.
He indicated he received two payments from DFAS which is accurate in his case if he had residual retired pay plus CRSC. He also mentioned the one VA payment which is accurate as well.

Ron

Added:
a. As most know, CRSC is a special compensation; it is not retired pay. CRSC “pay” was used earlier in the thread. Conversely, CRDP is retired pay, restored.

b. For CH 61 retirees, the retired pay is reduced by the amount of VA compensation received. This is often termed, “VA offset” or VA waiver.”

c. VA compensation is not reduced in a case such as discussed in this thread. The amount of VA compensation causes a reduction in retired pay.

We have very similar timelines. CRSC Approval letter received 4/21/2019, first payment 5/31/10 and second payment received on 7/1/19. Still no word on my Retro pay as of today(7/15/19) just that it's under audit. My CRSC Statement on mypay hasn't been updated since my first CRSC payment on 5/31.

Updated timeline:

CRSC Approval letter received 4/21/2019, first payment 5/31/10 and second payment received on 7/1/19. 2 more monthly payments(August and september) have been received with another monthly due 10/1. Received a letter on August 5th stating my audit had started and it would take 30-60 days. Today is day 50. I called just to check on it and the lady told me my account is new and in the earliest stages of the audit and that it could be up to another 120 days. WTF. I'm calling again to speak with another agent. Not happy. 150+ days so far since award letter.