My Med Board/PEB Timeline

jaj87

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hi all. I just recently found this forum and decided to join since I figure it may help with getting inputs and advice from other people going through this process. I recently got referred to the IPEB for lower back and hip issues. Here's my timeline so far:

JAN15 - Referred to Ortho
MAR15 - Placed Limdu for SI Joint Dysfunction
MAR15 to AUG 15 - Continued with meds, physical therapy, and chiropractic treatment.
27AUG15 - Referred to Med Board/PEB and got my PEBLO (Dr changed my condition from SI Joint Dysfunction to Lower Back Pain Mechanical)
02SEP15 - Met with VA rep to begin paperwork
23/25SEP15 - C&P Exams
15OCT15 - Results sent to Med Board
19OCT15 - Med Board begins review
03NOV15 - Received my findings back and rebutted their wording on my condition (They did recommend me for IPEB)
17NOV15 - Med Board refused to change what I asked, sent to DC
24NOV15 - Received by DC Med Board Office
14DEC15 - Called PEBLO and they stated that my package was "being finalized" for the IPEB

So that's where I'm at now. I've been told that DC is backed up crazy due to issues converting systems. I've also been told that I should expect something back after the holidays. I've checked my ebenefits and it still says "Gathering Evidence", which has been like that since September. Basically what happened to me I got hurt on board my ship, tried to bear through my hip and back pain, got referred to ortho and did physical therapy, chiropractic treatments, had an MRI and Guided CT Injection, got send LIMDU since that didn't work, continued PT and Chiropractor and meds, and all of this did not help me. Surgery was never offered. When my ortho referred me he said I would probably be found fit but admin separated w/o benefits (don't know if that's even possible). If anyone has any advice or inputs on my process it would be greatly appreciated. I'm curious on what other people have been told with similar conditions and also if they've been told the same thing about the PEB being backed up and they might see something after the holidays. Thanks in advance!

The IPEB is very backed up as far as I know. I sent my package on 08SEP15 and it didn't come back as unfit until around Thanksgiving. Should take 2-3months to be found FIT/UNFIT. From there (if you are found unfit for duty) it goes to the VA which rates your disqualifying condition and other claims and provides the rating back to the DoD. From there you wait another 2 weeks or so to receive you findings and either agree or decide to appeal. If you agree, you select a desired separation / retirement date anywhere from 30-90 days from the day you sign your findings.

If you are found fit, then it comes back after the 2-3 months of time for the IPEB to make a determination and you will be returned to duty if I am not mistaken.

As far as benefits, the VA decides you rating not your ortho, doctors, or even the Navy. If the condition you were referred to comes back at 0-20%, you will be separated with severance (base pay x 2) * (years of service) = severance amount. If it is 30% or more, you will be either temporarily or permanently retired with all the benefits of any other servicemember was retired.

Thanks for a bit of info on your experience. Yeah I kind of threw the BS flag when my ortho told me that too. I've been on leave for the past three weeks and haven't bothered with it since I wanted to focus on non-navy stuff and just relax. I called the chief PEBLOs today and they told me my stuff was at QA and I should be getting something back shortly. Hoping they find me unfit so I can carry on with the rest of my life.

Little update: according to their tracker my stuff is now with the VA preparing to be rated and apparently I was indeed found unfit. Anyone know how long this part of the process can take? I know martines you said maybe about two weeks. They told me to expect three-five months. Has anyone had their stuff come back sooner?

Little update: according to their tracker my stuff is now with the VA preparing to be rated and apparently I was indeed found unfit. Anyone know how long this part of the process can take? I know martines you said maybe about two weeks. They told me to expect three-five months. Has anyone had their stuff come back sooner?
Another sailor I am stationed with had hers come back last week and was there for a total of 20 days.

It's been a while since I've had any status update but finally my stuff went from Gathering Evidence to Preparation for Decision this morning. Hoping this part goes a little quicker and when it gets back to DC for final QA it doesn't get too backed up. Praying I get something by Mid March... that would work awesome with timing it with my wife's transfer and being able to spend some of her transfer leave actually living together for our first time in about a yr and a half

OK so... another update to add to my thread... within the last few hours it changed to Preparing for Decision Approval and I noticed under historical claims that I had claim that was filed on 29 JAN and closed today. So.... umm... looks like the cogs are finally moving kinda quick now lol