My MH Timeline

MyNeckAndMyBack

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Good morning. I was referred to the DAWG last fall due to a certain medication (Lamictal/lamotrigine, anti-convulsant and mood stabilizer) for mental health reasons. I wish to be found unfit, due to worsening mental and physical conditions, but was only referred for MH.

Didn't want to jinx it, but here's my timeline just because I'm tired of having to remember these dates and will lose it if it goes in a notebook. Also, I'm really confused about the order of operations for the AF MEB/IRILO process, but here it is. If someone sees something out of place, I'd love to hear it:

27 Sept 19: Initial DAWG Review, tabled till Oct 19
25 Oct 19: Second DAWG Review
5 Nov 19: Contacted Wg Surgeon General, informed DAWG recommended IRILO
5 Nov 19: Code 37
14 Nov 19: PEBLO contacts, I'm on leave
27 Nov 19: Return to work, fill out/return patient intake form immediately; began drafting AF Form 1185 (CIS)
Dec 19: PEBLO tries (unsuccessfully) to get NARSUM appt scheduled w/ med group psychiatrist
8 Jan: PEBLO informs NARSUM meeting scheduled for 15 Jan, requests CIS from CC
9 Jan: Send CIS to CC
15 Jan: NARSUM meeting
16 Jan: CC non-concurs with draft CIS, informs he will write himself to support retention
~17 Jan: NARSUM 85% complete, awaiting input letter from off base provider
3 Feb: Off base provider still has not sent input to med group psychiatrist, CIS not finished

Also, we had a person from the Andrews AF Wounded Warrior program come talk to us and apparently they help people through the process. Does anyone happen to have their contact information? TIA.

79th ARS, I don't have their phone number, but Information (Base Operator): 301-981-1110

Thanks @chaplaincharlie. I contacted the AF Wounded Warrior Program rep and she said I'm not eligible until formally entered into the DES, just FYI in case anyone else is curious.

Update:

27 Nov 19: Return to work, fill out/return patient intake form immediately; began drafting AF Form 1185 (CIS)
Dec 19: PEBLO tries (unsuccessfully) to get NARSUM appt scheduled w/ med group psychiatrist
16 Jan: CC non-concurs with draft CIS, informs he will write himself to support retention
3 Feb: Off base provider still has not sent input to med group psychiatrist, CIS not finished
5 Feb: CIS done, non-concurred and attached rebuttal MFR
12-13 Feb: Case sent to DP2NP (fingers crossed)

Another question: is there any rebuttal/appeal process for AF people returned to duty by DP2NP? I know there is once you reach the MEB stage, but I haven't seen anything for the steps prior to that. I know appeal is a long shot, but I think they'll return me to duty despite my documentation and I don't want to make it easy for them given my conditions.

The AF authroizes every MDG to have a patient squadron.

Update:

5 Feb: CIS done, non-concurred and attached rebuttal MFR
14 Feb: Case sent to AFPC/DP2NP (fingers crossed)
20 Feb: Full MEB required/IDES timeline starts

Update:

5 Nov 19: Contacted Wg Surgeon General, informed DAWG recommended IRILO, Code 37 placed
15 Jan: NARSUM appointment
5 Feb: CIS done, non-concurred and attached rebuttal MFR + reference letter from personal relation
21 Feb: PEBLO Brief
24 Feb: Contacted OAC for mando IDES/LDES brief
25 Feb: Signed/submitted IDES election form, informed by PEBLO that MH records were requested from MH clinic on 20 Feb, no response from clinic

FYI: I am stationed at an army base and my PEBLO and the MDG handling my case is at an AF base south of me. The army MH clinic isn't very punctual with these things--especially with records requests--so my timeline may be a little skewed from what passes for the norm. YMMV.

Update:

5 Nov 19: Contacted Wg Surgeon General, informed DAWG recommended IRILO, Code 37 placed
5 Feb: CIS done, non-concurred and attached rebuttal MFR + reference letter from personal relation
25 Feb: Signed/submitted IDES election form, informed by PEBLO that MH records were requested from MH clinic on 20 Feb, no response from clinic
28 Feb: Retrieved/submitted hard copy medical records to PEBLO (records are from 2003-2010), PEBLO contacts VA MSC

Does anyone have any tips to prepare for the C&P exams? Should I be annotating my records for claims? I want to be prepared because I tend to lose track of things and fumble around in these kind of situations. TIA.

Update:

FINALLY some movement. The pandemic put everything on hold, as I'm sure it did for everyone else, but here's an updated timeline. Couldn't schedule respiratory or vision appointments yet; respiratory isn't available due to COVID and vision isn't being done within 100 miles of me. May have to drive to Philadelphia to do it.

28 Feb: Retrieved/submitted hard copy medical records to PEBLO (records are from 2003-2010), PEBLO contacts VA MSC
9-13 March: Obtained/submitted mental health records to PEBLO; contacted by VA MSC
April: Filed claims with VA MSC (will update total number later)
May-June: Contacted MSC & PEBLO several times to get C&Ps scheduled; no luck
13 July: Finally got numbers for QTC (Thanks, PEBForum!); scheduled 3/5 appointments--can't do respiratory and vision yet due to COVID
17 July: General physical, labs
18 July: Audiology
22 July: Mental Health

Update:

FINALLY some movement. The pandemic put everything on hold, as I'm sure it did for everyone else, but here's an updated timeline. Couldn't schedule respiratory or vision appointments yet; respiratory isn't available due to COVID and vision isn't being done within 100 miles of me. May have to drive to Philadelphia to do it.

9-13 March: Obtained/submitted mental health records to PEBLO; contacted by VA MSC
13 July: Finally got numbers for QTC (Thanks, PEBForum!); scheduled 3/5 appointments--can't do respiratory and vision yet due to COVID
22 July: Mental Health

Great progress getting the exams you can scheduled. I was just told that mine would take at least 60 days to schedule.

Update:

QTC isn't scheduling any appointments which require the examinee to remove their face mask, which is why I haven't been able to schedule the exam for my respiratory illness claim. There is no end date in sight for this, but I would guess that it'll take quite a while, maybe until a vaccine is out on the streets. But that's just a guess.

However, it IS possible to withdraw a claim. Since this illness wasn't one of my referred conditions, I filled out the VBA form 21-4138 and sent it to my MSC this morning. Updated timeline below:

13 July: Finally got numbers for QTC (Thanks, PEBForum!); scheduled 3/6 appointments--can't do respiratory and vision yet due to COVID
22 July: Mental Health (Rescheduled)
27-28 July: Withdrawing respiratory illness claim so my case can proceed without further delays due to waiting on the exam
4 July: Mental Health
7 July: Vision

Update:

Been a long few months and I don't remember exact dates, but here we go:

13 July: Finally got numbers for QTC (Thanks, PEBForum!); scheduled 3/6 appointments--can't do respiratory and vision yet due to COVID
27-28 July: Withdrawing respiratory illness claim so my case can proceed without further delays due to waiting on the exam
7 July: Vision/C&Ps complete
9 Aug: PEBLO informs that I need new Commander's Impact Statement as the first expired; contacts my command
25 Aug: PEBLO calls to tell me command hasn't responded after two contact attempts; I start bugging everyone
9 Sep: Meeting w/ new CC
16 Sep: PEBLO says letter received, schedules brief for 19 Sep before they send package to IPEB

By the way, if anyone can give me a ballpark on how long it took them to receive ratings after IPEB submission, I'd appreciate it.

Update:

Almost there. Also, made some mistakes w/ the dates so that's been corrected.

9 Aug: PEBLO informs that I need new Commander's Impact Statement as the first expired; contacts my command
25 Aug: PEBLO calls to tell me command hasn't responded after two contact attempts; I start bugging everyone
9 Oct: Meeting w/ new CC
16 Oct: PEBLO says letter received, schedules brief for 19 Oct before they send package to IPEB
19 Oct: AF 618 received. Signed and returned immediately w/out IMR/rebuttal
20 Oct: Auto email from AFPC: AF 618 has been sent to IPEB
27 Oct: Auto email from AFPC: AF 356 has been sent to PEBLO. Should sign for ratings soon

Update: Ratings are in.

Pieces of advice for AF folks:

If you plan to take PTDY, find out how many days of PTDY your commander will let you take before your ratings are in. The AF has you fill out a form with your requested retirement date and you'll need to know how many days of terminal you'll have, plus your PTDY days, in order to figure a good separation date. As I understand it, you'll want to separate near the end of the month so you don't have to wait 2 months for VA disability to kick in.

Also, to rewind in the process a bit, don't forget that your Commander's Impact Statement (AF 1185) is only good for six months. If your package isn't sent up by then, you'll have to get a new one. Getting a CIS can be a pain as it is, so be proactive if you need to get a second. My commander PCSed in the summer, then my CIS expired and I had to get a new one from the new commander. This took over two months because the commander was new, didn't know me, and was super busy integrating (we're embedded in a very large federal agency so there are a lot of things to learn for new people here, let alone a squadron commander). If you're getting close to that six month mark, have your commander update their signature (and revise their comments, if necessary) on your CIS so you don't have to wait a long time later, especially if your CC is PCSing soon.

Your PEBLO will probably "strongly suggest" that you call the ODC (formerly OAC) before signing/returning your forms, however, the ODC is currently teleworking and will not answer the phone; you have to leave a voicemail and they will return your call. If you plan to accept the IPEB findings, call and leave your full contact info (full name [preferably spelled out], email [spelled out again], phone numbers) and tell them that you intend on accepting your findings. I can't say it'll work for everyone, but I did this and received a call from their SrA paralegal within ten minutes and she was grateful that I gave them that info so she could just tell me over the phone that I was good to go. It's entirely possible that I did a little too much in the voicemail, but I was satisfied with the findings and didn't want to waste time consulting with an attorney if it could be avoided.

16 Oct: PEBLO says letter received, schedules brief for 19 Oct before they send package to IPEB
27 Oct: Auto email from AFPC: AF 356 has been sent to PEBLO. Should sign for ratings soon
29 Oct: Ratings are in: 70% DOD / 100% VA. Signing 1180 soon

Signed for ratings on the 30th. Currently awaiting orders, which my PEBLO said could be 2-3 weeks. Requested 24 Jan retirement date which would put me at the week of Thanksgiving to start 15 days of outpro followed by 20 days of PTDY and 31 of terminal.

Orders received 11 Nov. Air Force ignored my requested retirement date and pushed it to the left to 14 Jan! Starting outpro today.

Congratulations!!

I've been waiting on my DA 199 for 17 days now, and my PEBLO just told me 3 minutes ago it's still pending.

Orders received 11 Nov. Air Force ignored my requested retirement date and pushed it to the left to 14 Jan! Starting outpro today

Signed for ratings on the 30th. Currently awaiting orders, which my PEBLO said could be 2-3 weeks. Requested 24 Jan retirement date which would put me at the week of Thanksgiving to start 15 days of outpro followed by 20 days of PTDY and 31 of terminal.
Congrats!

Did you end up on TRDL or PRDL?

Update: Ratings are in.

Pieces of advice for AF folks:

If you plan to take PTDY, find out how many days of PTDY your commander will let you take before your ratings are in. The AF has you fill out a form with your requested retirement date and you'll need to know how many days of terminal you'll have, plus your PTDY days, in order to figure a good separation date. As I understand it, you'll want to separate near the end of the month so you don't have to wait 2 months for VA disability to kick in.

Also, to rewind in the process a bit, don't forget that your Commander's Impact Statement (AF 1185) is only good for six months. If your package isn't sent up by then, you'll have to get a new one. Getting a CIS can be a pain as it is, so be proactive if you need to get a second. My commander PCSed in the summer, then my CIS expired and I had to get a new one from the new commander. This took over two months because the commander was new, didn't know me, and was super busy integrating (we're embedded in a very large federal agency so there are a lot of things to learn for new people here, let alone a squadron commander). If you're getting close to that six month mark, have your commander update their signature (and revise their comments, if necessary) on your CIS so you don't have to wait a long time later, especially if your CC is PCSing soon.

Your PEBLO will probably "strongly suggest" that you call the ODC (formerly OAC) before signing/returning your forms, however, the ODC is currently teleworking and will not answer the phone; you have to leave a voicemail and they will return your call. If you plan to accept the IPEB findings, call and leave your full contact info (full name [preferably spelled out], email [spelled out again], phone numbers) and tell them that you intend on accepting your findings. I can't say it'll work for everyone, but I did this and received a call from their SrA paralegal within ten minutes and she was grateful that I gave them that info so she could just tell me over the phone that I was good to go. It's entirely possible that I did a little too much in the voicemail, but I was satisfied with the findings and didn't want to waste time consulting with an attorney if it could be avoided.

29 Oct: Ratings are in: 70% DOD / 100% VA. Signing 1180 soon
Hi! Congrats on finally able to get your retirement. I am starting the MH process now, do you mind if I ask- were you MEB for MH reasons